2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 towing a Vermeer BC1000 Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackbob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new here and my first post. Great site for information.
I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Series 5.3L V8, 4x4, tow haul option, electronic brake controller, 10000 lb hitch/receiver and I added 2 extra leaf springs. I am looking to buy & tow a 2005 Vermeer BC1000 Chipper for this season and then upgrade the truck next year to a 2500 series and add a dump insert.

My questions is can I tow this chipper without issues?
My truck says Max Towing Capacity 8,400 lbs (i assume less for saftey)
BC1000 weight is approximately 5000lbs

Also does the chipper have electronic brakes to connect to my trucks brake controller?

Thanks

It'll tow it fine, especially in flatter areas. Make sure the brakes are functioning properly on the chipper.

A 3/4ton with a dump insert is not gonna be much of a step up. I would look into at least a one ton dually with an actual dump bed. Once you add the weight of the insert and chips you'd be pushing a 3/4ton pretty hard and not really be able to carry much for chips at all. A one ton with a 10ft dump bed and a chip box is gonna carry alot more chips and be much more stable going down the road.

It'll tow it fine, especially in flatter areas. Make sure the brakes are functioning properly on the chipper.

A 3/4ton with a dump insert is not gonna be much of a step up. I would look into at least a one ton dually with an actual dump bed. Once you add the weight of the insert and chips you'd be pushing a 3/4ton pretty hard and not really be able to carry much for chips at all. A one ton with a 10ft dump bed and a chip box is gonna carry alot more chips and be much more stable going down the road.

Hi thanks for the reply Greengreer,
I will take your advice regarding the 1 ton dually/10ft dump box. I might have an issue with insurance in canada (CVOR is needed for anything over 10000lbs and my broker said dump trucks are the most expensive)...but I will reinvestigate.
Thanks again

Hi thanks for the reply Greengreer,
I will take your advice regarding the 1 ton dually/10ft dump box. I might have an issue with insurance in canada (CVOR is needed for anything over 10000lbs and my broker said dump trucks are the most expensive)...but I will reinvestigate.
Thanks again
Didn't realise you were in Canada. For reference my 97 f350 with a 9' arbortech chip and tool box and it's 10k with fuel, tools and me in it, nothing in the bed.

Didn't realise you were in Canada. For reference my 97 f350 with a 9' arbortech chip and tool box and it's 10k with fuel, tools and me in it, nothing in the bed.

Cool, I figured I'd hold off until winter to figure out the truck upgrade because the safety/weight/costs are such a pain in the butt and I need to investigate thoroughly (at a later date). I believe I am good with a 250 and possibly a 350 but the question is how the dually, chipbox and chips affect the requirements...the main thing is that I am OK with what I got for now as a part-timer. Appreciated

"Also does the chipper have electronic brakes to connect to my trucks brake controller?"

The BC1000XL has electric brakes. A few Bc1000 versions were listed for sale which appeared to be a stripped down versions so confirm before purchasing.

My 1000Xl is pulled through the woods with a 20hp Kubota BX subcompact tractor. Stopping is more an issue than pulling this rolling weight.

Hi hemi, thanks for the reply.
I understand that there is more to this than just pulling...that's why I am asking you experts for advice about things I might overlook, like my brakes.
The chipper is a BC1000 not a BC1000XL and I confirmed it has electric brakes but the owner said he doesn't know if they work as he doesn't use them. (I don't know if that is normal with an big chip/forestry truck that he has or a red flag that there is something potentially wrong with the brakes.

How is your repair/maintenance/cost history with your BC1000XL?

This Vermeer chipper relies heavily on electronics to control the hydraulic feed system and engine management. There were a few electrical issues which required attention when I acquired the machine. The smart feed was non functional. With some arm twisting Vermeer supplied the schematics needed to diagnose this.

The chipper you are considering, is it equipped with smart feed?

After sorting out the electrical issues and replacing corroded hydraulic lines it has been 100%. My machine is dedicated to private property use so the input from a commercial tree service may have more value for you.

The brake system is standard stuff . Since its not required for my application, my knowledge is limited to the info in Vermeer's manuals.

Vermeer has outstanding customer support IMO. With the VIN you can register the machine on their website. After registering I received printed parts, operator and maintenance manuals...FREE! Two years later they sent a complete set of machine safety decals...FREE!

Back