Lent my saw out a few years ago

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, I lent my 084 to a friend to mill a couple logs a 2-1/2 years ago. Have not used the saw since. I couldn’t get the saw to start, so I started looking closer and remembered he’d taken it to a shop for a busted pull cord. Anyways, I now see the top cover is crooked and broken at the point where a screw mounts it. I also see a couple other screw almost completely backed out. The wire coming from the coil is frayed from the case rubbing on it. I put it all back together, tape the frayed wires. And it fires right up. My question is: I can see the broken end of a small hose right in this same general area. Is this something to be concerned with?
17d5a30cf59cee3919b299381d332c2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From tank to atmosphere. Lets air come into tank as fuel is used (equalize pressure and all that). Older styles had a couple grub screws in the hose to prevent gas from splashing around as you tip the saw.

If you pull the air filter cover & filter off, you should be able to get a good look at it.

From tank to atmosphere. Lets air come into tank as fuel is used (equalize pressure and all that). Older styles had a couple grub screws in the hose to prevent gas from splashing around as you tip the saw.

If you pull the air filter cover & filter off, you should be able to get a good look at it.

Great, very much appreciate the quick help!!!
Thanks so much
Brian

Hope it was a really good friend. I would not be a happy camper. 2 1/2 years?

Not many people I’d lend one of my saws to, but yes a good friend.
Haven’t had the time to do any milling lately (kids and sports), which is why 2.5 years

I don’t loan my stuff out, but my kids can borrow anything. But I did buy them both an assortment of different size chainsaws.

When a friend or neighbor asks to borrow a saw I politely tell them I'll come over and cut up the tree for them.

I've NEVER once to date had a good experience with loaning out a chain saw........Cliff

Exactly my position. I'll help but won't loan. Can't say I've never borrowed but then I treat it better than my own.

Never ever loan any thing out to any one. I let my son use a saw once. I told him the next time pick out a saw and I would buy it for him. The trouble about loaning any thing is not worth the hassle. Thanks

I'm usually in the Whatya need HELP with? camp, for a good friend, I am usually Happy to come over and help out, I run my saws, and everything usually ends well, if not, it would be MY Mistake, and nobody to blame but myself. :(

I have a VERY SHORT list of people that I would loan a saw to. My Best Friend was a Toyota Master Mechanic for almost 30 years, and has had Dirt Bikes, Quads and Snowmobiles, and understands and knows more about Two strokes than I ever will, and as a Mechanic, he has a Very High Respect for tools. He is one of the very few people that I would loan a saw to, and then only for simple tasks. For anything more challenging, I'm there, and if it is more than I am comfortable doing, I would tell him to call a PRO, which he would understand and accept, as I do when he recommends mechanical advice.

Doug :cheers:

This is why I don't loan my stuff out. Most folks don't take care of their own machines, even less when it's someone else's.

I have a few friends that I like loaning out stuff as it comes back in nicer shape than it left.

I do the same thing as well. I treat not my stuff better than if it was my own. Not that I treat my stuff like **** either though.

Like many years ago I needed a chainsaw. I had one in my household goods shipment, but it was still packed up in storage waiting for my house to be finished.
Borrowed a Poulan from someone and used it to finish clearing my yard. Cut maybe 3-4 cords of trees.
Returned it all cleaned up, full of bar oil and fuel, a brand new chain and another new one for a spare.

Back