Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hells yes!![emoji41]

Split some more after this morning and got holz haussn #4 done today!!

[emoji847]

0fda07347e59aa6bde8f71b376507809.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

err. hmm....errrrm...lovely but...errrr..arent thesplits supposed to slope outwards so it sheds rain? yours slope in, no?

You mean the top....? It dont matter. When people stack regular 4x4x8 cords they dont do anything special to the top for rain run off so why dos it matter here.....

I stacked 4x4x8 cords for years with no cover in the summer time. Only cover top only m in the winter for snow.

The “body” of this special stack is ALWAYS supposed to slope IN. If they ever begin flatten or slop out the pile falls over. That is the idea of the stack to begin with. Never falls if done right. As the wood shrinks it “falls in” on itself. As soon as your rings get parallel to the ground or slop out..... the stack falls over. That how it’s supposed to be done.

As for the top..... i don’t make it look pretty like the germans. Because its a wood pile... not a sculpture

I had some plan for today go awry... So to pass some time I scrounged up a few bits and built a UHF antenna for grins. Only had 2 channels 4 subs now I got something like 43 with the subs. Used the "Stealth Hawk" design. Stupid simple and works great.

Yeah I need to get more paint...

No. Bought a Leigh jig from Canada a few years ago but life got in the way so am trying to figure it out now I finally have some time to use it. Probably 20 years ago I made a chest of drawers with hand cut dovetails in my lunch breaks on a building job from timber scrounged from the job site skip bin. Decided back then hand cut DT is a skill I'll never really master. I think I had to use epoxy on some of the joints :)

ta

Thanks. I know just enough to get frustrated at how clueless i am and get myselfc into but not out of trouble. Have pallet racks full of dry timber scrounged over the years and never enough time to clear them.
Still pretty awesome! My skills fall between tree fort and drywall.

Every year we have a community BBQ and cook over 500lbs of beef. Due to the wet weather I had to contribute some dry hardwood to keep the fire going under the sap pan we use to heat beans and corn. Scrounged wood saves the day!
1a3faf9f7a849a635c5df3060edd6537.jpg
9722532d8fe0f121d1e3ccd9c1b41abb.jpg
c7631f4b3073ed0048361e4a36bdb4dc.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Dang man!!! This is AWSOME

how can they sell those benches for that price. It would cost three times that for me to make one like it for myself. Castors is a nice addition. Do any of them lock so you can push against the bench without chasing it around the workshop? Bought an entire kitchen second hand for a few hundy about a decade ago and repurposed the cabinets and bench tops as mobile benches and shed storage. Works ok but always wanted to make a proper bench like yours but never enough time.

Next project has to be a two stage cyclone dust system. It seems almost weekly there's a news item about how much of a hazard wood dust can be. I need to get serious about avoiding it.

if it was a John Boos & Co maple bench, it would be over 10 times that. I actually got mine new for under $100.00! :D I thought of locking casters, but doubt there are any out there for $2.50 each! iukwim! ~

probably have to roll it up against a wall with casters like mine. lol

looking fwd to it being useable. studs and casters to go in after bench done.

I had some plan for today go awry... So to pass some time I scrounged up a few bits and built a UHF antenna for grins. Only had 2 channels 4 subs now I got something like 43 with the subs. Used the "Stealth Hawk" design. Stupid simple and works great.

Yeah I need to get more paint...

interesting. in your pix what is the black box? a Balun type device? and the silver? silver - a splitter? thanks for the post, going to look into this design.

if it was a John Boos & Co maple bench, it would be over 10 times that. I actually got mine new for under $100.00! :D I thought of locking casters, but doubt there are any out there for $2.50 each! iukwim! ~

probably have to roll it up against a wall with casters like mine. lol

looking fwd to it being useable. studs and casters to go in after bench done.

Some of the masterpieces on youtube where guys have made their own workshop cabinetmaking benches make me feel very inadequate! I've stopped looking at those videos. Their benches are better than any finished furniture I could even conceive of let alone produce.

Yeah, I asked about the castors because when I put all my benches on castors, the first set was 360 degree with no locking and I actually ended up going for a pair of straight and a pair of 360 (but locking) on all the others. Nowhere near as manoeuvrable as your ones and, unfortunately, nowhere near what you paid. I think I paid $20 for each set. It's so good to be able to move 'em around the shed. Best of luck with yours. Am looking forward to seeing what comes off your bench. I ran out of weekend to finish the jewellery boxes but I've got the bit between my teef now so the next few evenings should be enough to put the latest ones to bed. I get a bit OCD when a project is going well and really just want to block out the world and finish it. If only real life could be so blissfully one-dimensional.

Some of the masterpieces on youtube where guys have made their own workshop cabinetmaking benches make me feel very inadequate! I've stopped looking at those videos. Their benches are better than any finished furniture I could even conceive of let alone produce.

Yeah, I asked about the castors because when I put all my benches on castors, the first set was 360 degree with no locking and I actually ended up going for a pair of straight and a pair of 360 (but locking) on all the others. Nowhere near as manoeuvrable as your ones and, unfortunately, nowhere near what you paid. I think I paid $20 for each set. It's so good to be able to move 'em around the shed. Best of luck with yours. Am looking forward to seeing what comes off your bench. I ran out of weekend to finish the jewellery boxes but I've got the bit between my teef now so the next few evenings should be enough to put the latest ones to bed. I get a bit OCD when a project is going well and really just want to block out the world and finish it. If only real life could be so blissfully one-dimensional.

I hear ya mate! my casters r for maneuverability. I had planned on some blocks just tall or high enough to raise the casters off the floor to stabilize and locate the workbench. 1/8th" or so... I don't need it locked down, for my main workbench is 16' long and it is made of 4x4 and 2x4s etc. and the back of the top, 2x4s... where the plywood deck attaches topside is bolted directly into the studs in the wall of the house! they attach to sill which is J-bolted to foundation. 3/8ths lag bolts with washers under their heads. the workbench is as rock solid as the house is sitting on its foundation! no joke!... -0- flex! lol

say, can u post up a link or two on those special made workbenches? I would like to see what u r talking about. thanks...

interesting. in your pix what is the black box? a Balun type device? and the silver? silver - a splitter? thanks for the post, going to look into this design.
Yeah that is a splitter. I couldn't find a 300-75 ohm adapter laying around that was the wire to coaxial type. Though I am sure I have one.

So I made do with the splitter and the push on 300-75 ohm connector. It was a spur of the moment idea. Since it worked so well I'll be looking for the bits to make up a prettier permanent version. We are in the 37-40 mile range from the towers which seems to be the sweet spot for this design.

Back