562xp warm start trouble, air purge stops working for a while

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only problem is the uncertainty of whats wrong. It's a bit of a mystery box. Chainsaw wizard said change the purge valave, others say decomp leak and scrap the saw (again i dont think I EVER started it with the purge valve), others say change the carb and take it to the dealer to reflash..... I guess i should check if the cylinder is scored before I do anything.
Have the firmware updated first, than have the saw vac/pressure tested. My 562 came from the factory with a leaking crank seal, which was "do to a change in design" near impossible to replace, so a new short block was in order. If that doesn't help, you'll likely need a new carb. But honestly that may not work either. Getting the heat out is going to be something you have to do yourself, open up the cover and mod the muffler. I even installed some heat shielding between the cylinder and carb.

It always amuses me when guys with no experience dealing with this issue chime in. Again this problem is known, and the fixes are listed above. No settig the high idle is going to fix a saw that can't put fuel into the engine, because it's turn to a vapor, as the carb is 150+°F. Husqvarna has no real fix other than the redesign that came with the 550, and is on the way with the 562[emoji111]

Short blocks are cheap, but near impossible to replace crank bearings and seal, come on. Really? Have you actually ever rebuilt one?
[emoji4] You're barking up the wrong tree. What happened was in 2016 the 562 went through a bunch of updates including case and seal changes, the seals are tight and the proper installation tool wasn't available and the old tool wouldn't work, so Husqvarna just sent a new block under warranty. There also seemed to be a tolerance issue of some sort, just poor QC if you ask me.

Of course the saws can be rebuilt, but I wouldn't waste my time, well unless you have a steady supply of donor saws. Even then with the inability to program new carbs or update the firmware, I consider the 5 series saws not fully serviceable at home, which to me = disposable. That's just the way it is.[emoji111]

[emoji4] You're barking up the wrong tree. What happened was in 2016 the 562 went through a bunch of updates including case and seal changes, the seals are tight and the proper installation tool wasn't available and the old tool wouldn't work, so Husqvarna just sent a new block under warranty. There also seemed to be a tolerance issue of some sort, just poor QC if you ask me.

Of course the saws can be rebuilt, but I wouldn't waste my time, well unless you have a steady supply of donor saws. Even then with the inability to program new carbs or update the firmware, I consider the 5 series saws not fully serviceable at home, which to me = disposable. That's just the way it is.[emoji111]
For you. :innocent:

I'd say about ~10 chords (~5 years ~ 2 chords a year, 90% hardwoods). Still, it's basically brand new!

Always use the fast idle. Doesn't help. Nothing but time will get it to start again.

Sounds like your 562xp has barely cut 5 cords of wood so far, it’s practically a brand-new saw with a relatively minor issue that a good Husqvarna dealer should be able to fix for you. Don’t give up to easily, take it back and complain some more, if that dealer doesn’t want to fix it take it somewhere else.
Had a new carburetor or whatever you call it put on my 562 under warranty the first year I owned it and it has run and started about perfect since. I have been cutting roughly 10 cords per year and other than some bar and chain wear my 562 is like new.

Do you use the fast idle feature for starting it when it’s hot ? I do and that seems to help a lot.

Only one thing to do, what is your asking price? Or a sledgehammer will do the trick, since it cannot be repaired by anyone.

? Actually Bob Spike60 had the issue with the seal, as the saw was under warranty.[emoji112]

After the case was replace Bob ran the saw for a tank or two without any problems, but that was in NY in the fall, last time I ran her when it was about 80° same issue. A new carb may very well resolve the problem, but that's some $$ for a maybe, for now I'll just run the saw in cooler weather.

Here is a video of how these saws behave with vapor lock.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/562xp-hot-start.298269/page-11#post-5931139 Andy, back in June,2016 this thread discussed hot start issues of these saws. I experimented with the use of AV-Gas in my 2260. My saw always started, with power, and primed with this fuel. I could not get it to vapor lock with AV-Gas like I could with regular non ethanol fuel. My 2260 and 2253 have been very reliable. The only problem I have had is tearing the center out of the plastic on the starter, even when using the decomp. My saws have a pop-up done by Tlandrum.

My 2013 562xp with EL46 carb ... was running and re-starting well after doing the following.

Here's what initially fixed the hot start issue for me:
- Cut case vent (as per new versions)
- Opened muffler up some, to get heat out faster
- Got latest software updates
- Silver foil tape between carb and cylinder, wrapping it tight leaving no spaces around carb to cylinder entrance
- Some guys delete primer bulb, but I didn't have to do that
- run non-ethanol gas and try to switch over to summer gas asap in the hot season.

As others have said, these saws do NOT like heat and I had solved the hot start issue some time back and it ran well.
Cooling this saw down is critical to solving the hot start problem.

HOWEVER:
During saw prep this spring, I had removed the old ratty tin foil tape that I'd originally placed on the saw when I originally did the other mods I've listed above, and again, my 562 started to suffer the hot start problem.

So I got out my foil tape again and this time put 3 layers of tape between the carb and cylinder, carefully making sure to leave no gaps around the carb pass through to the cylinder.

Ran the saw hard cutting 8 cords of wood 7 days. Some hot days. Restarted without a glitch many times without even touching the start switch. Latest software updates seem to make the original hot-start procedure nul and void. I just pull the saw over and she starts.

This saw especially needs the tight and dense reflective barrier/shield between carb and cylinder. Out of habit I don't leave it baking in the sun anymore, but the difference after re-applying the heat shield, has shown me that this is an essential mod to compensate for the swooped back cylinder design that dumps too much heat into the carb.

Happy to have this little beast running well again.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back