Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the stump on that tree was solid but about 4 cuts further up it was down to a thin horseshoe of good wood. I few of the rounds were even worse than the pic I posted below. With the winds we’ve had over that last few summers and the other trees we’ve lost I’m very surprised this one didn’t break partway up.

I quit cutting right before I got to one of the woodpecker holes as I figured I’d give the bats a few days to vacate.

8BFD197F-AA16-48A2-9E1E-8A6FC8AEECA9.jpeg DF293470-4586-4AB9-8722-0DC9EFB582F9.jpeg F9D6E1B2-DBB8-4180-87C7-5F1EC6AB4D88.jpeg

Saturday morning church with my friends

f0bdf7cbf84eee640ee07abe2bd11c77.jpg
33fcebf4f105a78a883bda36773cd879.jpg
d54832b0b6ee9af70158b230081fb7c3.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Looks like my wood piles, super wet everywhere and all the snakes are in the wood. Love seein em.

looks gorgeous I might have to be added to that list of yours
Thanks. How's that tach working out?
I culled my membership on that other site. Was on too many sites and not enough computer time so had to scale it back. Main thing I miss from over there is the really good buggers who always seemed to step up when anotherMothaBrotha needed help. Some of those raffles were amazing. Perhaps if there's another like that at some stage I'll make and donate a box like these ones I'm doing now. That way, if it falls apart, they can't ask for their money back ! :) Ill leave it up to you guys that are on that other board to let me know if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm at the oiling stage of the current batch. Still can't work out what oils and processes work best, bring out the best in the timber. The Kauri one in particular is starting to show that lovely iridescence Kauri is renowned for. There is a 2-part oil called Rubio Monocoat c2 Pure that is supposed to be the absolute best for Kauri but I'll be buggered if I'm paying the galactic prices it goes for. So, will keep experimenting...

Thanks. How's that tach working out?
I culled my membership on that other site. Was on too many sites and not enough computer time so had to scale it back. Main thing I miss from over there is the really good buggers who always seemed to step up when anotherMothaBrotha needed help. Some of those raffles were amazing. Perhaps if there's another like that at some stage I'll make and donate a box like these ones I'm doing now. That way, if it falls apart, they can't ask for their money back ! :) Ill leave it up to you guys that are on that other board to let me know if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm at the oiling stage of the current batch. Still can't work out what oils and processes work best, bring out the best in the timber. The Kauri one in particular is starting to show that lovely iridescence Kauri is renowned for. There is a 2-part oil called Rubio Monocoat c2 Pure that is supposed to be the absolute best for Kauri but I'll be buggered if I'm paying the galactic prices it goes for. So, will keep experimenting...
that tach was a blessing, used it on the 880 before it went tits up and had to go back for warranty work, I'm only on this and that other site and just about manage some screen time

We had a few tornadoes come through Saturday evening. The closest was 5 miles away or so. There are still about 800 homes without power. A few areas really got hit hard, a few houses destroyed. I offered to help clean up a bit, but really didn't know the best way to offer help. I ended up staying away, didn't want to be in the way of things. The township trustee didn't know what was best either.

Anyway, yesterday morning the tree service I get wood from called me up. He'd been out since 4am. He was working in a spot nearby, but not near the tornado hit area. Huge white oak fell on a house trailer. Somehow, miraculously, there was only a 2x6 inch hole in the roof. The tree fell around the trailer. I'll get pictures later today when I'm off work. I need to go pick up the wood, probably at least 3 truck and trailer loads.

Yesterday late afternoon we went to a nearby tourist town, Nashville, IN, to get ice cream for father's day. Stopped by where the tree service was working on the white oak along the way. We almost didn't make it home. As we were leaving there was a flash flood warning and a huge downpour. It was sunny when we left home. We've had so much rain already anyway the downpour caused quick flooding. Had to drive 5-10 mph and the road was down to one lane is spots with water on the sides. We eventually got to higher ground and got out of it.

Well, I got another load of Maple on Friday afternoon...full 5x8 trailer worth, three feet deep, not bad since I don't even need to cut it! It's not consistently one length, but whatever is long I will use for campfires.

Guy told me he was taking a week break, needed to sharpen chains. I just bought a 410-120 (?) Oregon sharpener and offered to sharpen his chains but he already dropped them off at the shop.

I got to use that sharpener a little this weekend, sharpened a chain for my father and one of my own, I have four or five more that need done. As my luck always runs, I always find that one rock hidden among the leaves...or the blasted nails people have pounded into trees, which is one of the hazards of scrounging from peoples' yards.

This Oregon replaces a cheap Timber Tuff that was a gift...I really wasn't fond of that sharpener (vibrated, missing cord retainer, switch was weird, and setup wasn't easy), but I do like this Oregon. It was one of the cheaper Oregon they make, but I may use it once a year if that.
874dffcae2d4c5b9e8211535ccb25f2d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
5cadb5eb2711f8d7da80b6c38b62aed2.jpg
e46a25f5402a956010829be43c64f837.jpg
9dc44a11ab66acc5396dd246817bbf57.jpg
51330eb5cd185544f4ac908c63a63d7a.jpg
396acd1c54ee42c5a27e52bebd94a033.jpg

As an aside, have any of you SW Pennsylvania people ran into Spotted Lantern Flies?

We were infested last year, killed a flowering plum and our Sugar Maple probably won't survive this coming winter (it currently looks like you would expect in September, leaves are pea green, yellow, to even red). Those little monsters made that poor tree bleed last fall...sap was dripping off it and running down the trunk.

I expect to see more maple on the free list because of them...

As an aside, have any of you SW Pennsylvania people ran into Spotted Lantern Flies?

We were infested last year, killed a flowering plum and our Sugar Maple probably won't survive this coming winter (it currently looks like you would expect in September, leaves are pea green, yellow, to even red). Those little monsters made that poor tree bleed last fall...sap was dripping off it and running down the trunk.

Haven't seen them here in western York co. Yet. Been looking. Hope they can't make it across the river. Nasty bastiges.

D80FE9C8-2863-4D22-9C77-D7A18C85AC2B.jpeg

Unfortunately, they are over here in Southeast PA

I just bought a 410-120 (?) Oregon sharpener . . . This Oregon replaces a cheap Timber Tuff that was a gift...I really wasn't fond of that sharpener once a year if that.

Would you consider starting a thread on this grinder ('Oregon 410-120 Grinder')? A number of people ask about it, as it it one of the less expensive Oregon grinders. And it is frequently mentioned as an alternative to the 'clone' grinders (like your Timber Tuff). I have not used one personally, but I think that a number of A.S. members would be interested.

Thanks.

Philbert

View attachment 741847

Unfortunately, they are over here in Southeast PA
Yeah, I'm in Berks so I've been scrounging only within the areas I know have bugs so I dont drag them into someone else. They first appeared at my place two years ago...now they are infested.

It's going to get interesting, they harassed me a few years back when I was hauling firewood from my folks in NW PA for the EAB. I bet they will start that again...you already technically need a permit to pull commercially out of this area because of the SLF.

FYI, if you haven't read up on them, they dont turn into that picture perfect bug until fall...the nymphs are the size of your typical leaf hopper, only black with white spots. They are tough to see as they act like a squirrel, they move to the opposite side of whatever they are on so you don't see them. They adults don't care much and are sort of dopey.

50 miles north of Pittsburgh and haven’t seen any yet.

Would you consider starting a thread on this grinder ('Oregon 410-120 Grinder')? A number of people ask about it, as it it one of the less expensive Oregon grinders. And it is frequently mentioned as an alternative to the 'clone' grinders (like your Timber Tuff). I have not used one personally, but I think that a number of A.S. members would be interested.

Thanks.

Philbert
Where would I start it?

Well, Car and Driver did the testing for us … in the July 2019 issue … "Should you be buying Premium?"

One of the vehicles tested was a 2019 F-150 3.5 ltr ecoboost.

Going from 87 to 93 octane:

Wheel power from 360 HP to 380 HP
Wheel Torque 463 lb ft to 475 lb ft
0-60 5.9 sec to 5.3 sec
0-100 16.0 sec to 14.2 sec
1/4 mi 14.5 sec to 14.0 sec
75 MPH fuel economy 17.0 MPG to 17.6 MPG (glad I got the 2.7 ltr, I do much better).

Peak boost pressure increased 1.9 psi with the 93 octane (so the computers do control this based on knock)!

Now we know!

Well, Car and Driver did the testing for us … in the July 2019 issue … "Should you be buying Premium?"

One of the vehicles tested was a 2019 F-150 3.5 ltr ecoboost.

Going from 87 to 93 octane:

Wheel power from 360 HP to 380 HP
Wheel Torque 463 lb ft to 475 lb ft
0-60 5.9 sec to 5.3 sec
0-100 16.0 sec to 14.2 sec
1/4 mi 14.5 sec to 14.0 sec
75 MPH fuel economy 17.0 MPG to 17.6 MPG (glad I got the 2.7 ltr, I do much better).

Peak boost pressure increased 1.9 psi with the 93 octane (so the computers do control this based on knock)!

Now we know!
I'm getting 21-22 on the highway at 75. With the trailer I'm down to 13-15 at 65-70, all on 87. I'm glad I got the 2.7 also.

Back