Husky 55 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the transfer port on the cool side (flywheel side) where it won't have many cooling fins.
If the outside of the port curves outward from the top and then back inwards at the bottom, it's a closed-port cylinder.
If the outside port profile is straight, it's open-port.

Close port models are stronger and narrower power curve. The open port models have a broad/smooth/flat power curve.

Despite the later Rancher models showing up with 3/8 pitch 20" bars they are best suited for .325" 18" bars....IMHO.

I've owned half a dozen 55's and run two closed port 55's on nearly every outing. They are excellent firewood saws and run high RPM's and pull .325" 18" bars with good authority. I cut a LOT of tops left over from logging operations and have never been using one of my CP 55's, even in bigger material and looked down at it and wished I had brought more saw.......Cliff

Alright then. What’s the diffence? Which is better?
If you just want to effectively cut timber, either will do fine.
If your primary task is felling/thinning softwood with a 13" bar & full-chisel .325 chain, a closed-port cylinder might be worth seeking out. A Partner 5000+ c&p will also fit straight on if you can find one.

I have a lot of miles on both closed and open. They both handle anything here buried 18". Mine like .325 semi and chisel. Biggest problem I have found is, they're not made any longer.
Likely be tearing one down in the near future.

I'm not sure if there are any OEM 55 CP PC's left anyplace. The last one I saw for sale was over $250 on Ebay couple of years ago.

I use and prefer semi-chisel, 72DL, .325" 18" set-ups on mine. They do fine with full chisel but I cut a lot of tops and there is enough dirt in them that semi-chisel stays sharp considerably longer......Cliff

Back