Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Car and Driver did the testing for us … in the July 2019 issue … "Should you be buying Premium?"

One of the vehicles tested was a 2019 F-150 3.5 ltr ecoboost.

Going from 87 to 93 octane:

Wheel power from 360 HP to 380 HP
Wheel Torque 463 lb ft to 475 lb ft
0-60 5.9 sec to 5.3 sec
0-100 16.0 sec to 14.2 sec
1/4 mi 14.5 sec to 14.0 sec
75 MPH fuel economy 17.0 MPG to 17.6 MPG (glad I got the 2.7 ltr, I do much better).

Peak boost pressure increased 1.9 psi with the 93 octane (so the computers do control this based on knock)!

Now we know!
What is the specified minimum octane for that engine?

Well, Car and Driver did the testing for us … in the July 2019 issue … "Should you be buying Premium?"

One of the vehicles tested was a 2019 F-150 3.5 ltr ecoboost.

Going from 87 to 93 octane:

Wheel power from 360 HP to 380 HP
Wheel Torque 463 lb ft to 475 lb ft
0-60 5.9 sec to 5.3 sec
0-100 16.0 sec to 14.2 sec
1/4 mi 14.5 sec to 14.0 sec
75 MPH fuel economy 17.0 MPG to 17.6 MPG (glad I got the 2.7 ltr, I do much better).

Peak boost pressure increased 1.9 psi with the 93 octane (so the computers do control this based on knock)!

Now we know!
It amazes me the output of those small engines...my antiquated 6.0l is something like 388hp and 360tq. And I get 16mpg at best...

One thing I found is that running flex fuel gives a better running engine, smoother with more power. Downside is all the moisture in the crankcase...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's wood I scrounged and could be firewood one day, but I promise this is the last pic. A group shot of the current batch. Got up a few times to tend to the new-born triplets through the night and the morning sun today made them look so much better than they really are so I seized the moment for a pic.
Left to right: Kauri with Rimu inlays, Rimu with Kauri inlays, Matai with Kahikatea inlays.

IMG_20190618_090042.jpg

87 is minimum, but they recommend high test. These new computer controlled engines do a lot more than they used to, especially with VCT and a turbo, it is a whole different world.
We had a Forester FXT (T=turbo)...if you ran anything less than premium, it would literally fall on its face at a wide open throttle run. I was told it was to protect against damage from preignition. These modern computerized deals do a while lot to protect themselves from damage...that prevents warranty work for the dealer.

That little car was fun to drive, it would chirp the tires shifting to 2nd at WOT in completely stock form...

What maple is this...Silver? I'm only getting the rounds, never saw the tree or leaves...

It doesn't have the coarse bark a Sugar typically gets when it is this big.
0e2c1b80524a9cb2bfb817548ac0f852.jpg

Maple is so difficult to tell from the bark, if it grew in one place it looks like this, in another place it looks like that.

I would take a nail and see how much you can mark it, and you will get a good idea if it is hard or soft. It does not look like Silver to me, but I could be wrong, and I like all the other Maples, even Red (which would be my best guess).

Latest posts

Back