Which one would you choose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bigger one because I really like big saws (and trimmers). But i like little saws too.... so id get the big one and then get the little one.[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I have an fs55 with the bike handles. I think it is the precourser to the 56.

While it’s been reliable, it fits me at 6’1” (and my wife, who is just little) poorly no matter how you adjust the strap or handlebar.

It is very difficult to easily level the head to the ground. It is unnatural for us to do so. The 56 may be different.

I will be very particular about fit if/when I get another trimmer.

I had an old weedeater gti19 that was a better trimmer, even if just a cheapie.

String trimmers make a really poor scythe, but are handy to trim against obstructions.

I just went on Stihl.ca and noticed that they have the fs56 listed as a “powerful brush cutter”. It is no such thing. The blade I have for mine borders on useless in anything that I would call “brush”, other than pinky-finger thickness soft stemmed bushes. Those bushes can almost as easily be cut with string..

I wouldn’t even call it a notably powerful string trimmer actually, as the old weadeater (Poulan) was just as powerful and way handier, even without handlebars and strap.

I agree that there isn’t a need for a handlebar and strap on a string trimmer. They just get in the way.

I have only had two trimmers of my own. I have run a few commercial string trimmer units years ago. I would say yes, I prefer the d handle.

Check the fit! Whatever you get should just sit naturally level. That just makes it way, way more relaxing to run. You can do good work if the thing runs level. Otherwise you simply can’t without having to pay way too much attention.

What about the price I'm sure there is a huge price jump between those models

I'd choose the 131, you didn't mention prices.

If I'm working with something that has ~twice the power and ~ the same weight, I'm going to get more done and be less tired.

What's that worth to ya, and what sort of weeds/brush you doing?

If it's just around your house/driveway is different than running one all day at a time.

If you want to cut brush you need a serious machine.

If you want to trim weeds and grass almost anything will do, imo. As long as it’s comfortable.

My old gti19 was a straight shaft trimmer. It saw a LOT of work with one hand on the motor and one on the d-handle and it was far more comfortable than my Stihl.

I have a husqvarna 128 ld straight shaft and havent been I'mpressed not enough power and leaves me with a backache

I own the fs-91 and an fs-100rx and if I had to buy a string trimmer tomorrow it wouldn't be a stihl, or at least not either of the models I have. Read about issue's with any model you are considering, both of mine use the same carb (Zama) and they are crap. I just got done rebuilding the carb on the fs-100 a week ago and after reading around it looks to be a fairly common thing to have to deal with no matter how well you take care of them.

TBH, if I had to buy one tomorrow I would probably look into a Echo. I had a Husky years ago (before I knew any better about taking care of them) and wish I had it back again, lighter and did just as well for general work and the odd heavy cut. I will admit when in heavier stuff the stihl does great but I don't encounter that enough to constitute the additional weight. Put in plain words, I over bought on the trimmer and the added weight sucks when the torque isn't needed.

Latest posts

Back