Small stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12ram2500

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm looking for a smaller stihl I have a ms462 and it's over kill for small limbs etc I'm looking on opinions on a small stihl with maybe a 14 inch bar I'm not intrested in husky etc just stihl what do you guys think thanks

Hello I'm looking for a smaller stihl I have a ms462 and it's over kill for small limbs etc I'm looking on opinions on a small stihl with maybe a 14 inch bar I'm not intrested in husky etc just stihl what do you guys think thanks
I'm sitting here reassembling my old Stihl 025 and I love this little screamer. It has great power to weight and it'll cut 24inch wood for a very long time before it needs an easy fix.

7d3b0e5c78033b36a6aa555cb4629a8f.jpg
a637c1ffa25c31567eb0555f0c5eaab9.jpg

+1 I really like the power to weight and size of the 025 aswell
That's an aftermarket engine housing and I also used an aftermarket flywheel and coil. Very affordable and effective. Everything else is OEM. I'm not fond of lowering the durability of my saws because I don't have time to fix cheap!

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk

I'm rebuilding my 170 next! That's another good small Stihl!
eedcb89fcf33add443918d43dc6b8a4d.jpg

Someone gave it the wrong treatment
I put a little bit larger of a dog spike and a tank handle guard on the bottom. Oh, and a muffler mod is perfect for this one. Not much room for a timing advance.
786c2d9d250c244d48adc503c3f871cc.jpg
6ad20f8cf7a1dd5304b7bfdd2a32251b.jpg
993df25a78fbcf1c100ba376e5d13cc2.jpg

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk

My vote also for the 025. Can pick them up used and in great condition for $200 or less. Bought mine from my aunt after my uncle passed. He had it for 10+ years but took very good care of it. She sold it to me for $50, I gave her $100 cuz I knew it was worth more than that. Great running saw. Have a 16" bar on it and works great for small stuff.

I wouldnt mind an older saw like the 025 any one have any connections on getting a good one ? And on the 170 I havent heard much good about them are they better then all the bad rumors I've heard I know it's a home owner saw and I'm more of a pro saw kinda guy

Craigslist or the Facebook marketplace is an excellent place to look as well if you have FB. Just gotta check often as the good ones don't last long. On my first 361....had it listed for $425, stickers were still all on it, also included chaps and 2 extra chains as well as the plastic case. Found in 20 mins after he posted it. Couldn't get over there for 2 days to get it, but he literally had 10 guys lined up to buy it. Wrote him out a check for $400 and we were both happy. Fired right up and you could tell it had hardly been used at all. Plastics looked all brand new on it. Paint was still on the bar.

While new to all this stuff, I picked up a new Stihl MS 171 last fall and love it for what it is.

If money is not a factor get 261 without a doubt. Plenty light enough to limb and trim all day without getting tired. If the 6 bones is to much look for a nice used 260 or 026, should be able to get for 2 to 3 bones!

A top handle might also be handy for you, but they’re pretty pricy. I’ve never used one, but I’ve been looking for one for awhile, pretty hard to come buy in my neck off the woods.

I have the 170 and 025. They are both my go to saws but they are very different. I have an 18 inch bar on the 025 and it has no problem with it. $159 for a 170 is hard to pass up. Just buy the upgraded carburetor and when the autotune starts acting up toss it.

I have a MS170 with a MM and a carb upgrade. It is small but it’ll whip up on my father in laws poulan pro 20”. I’m in the market for a slightly used 260/261.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back