Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the specified minimum octane for that engine?
Back when Mike first got his truck, someone said they read in the owners manual, might have been Mike, that high test would perform better. So, I called the dealer. They told me the factory calls for regular in the 2.7, and they could not recommend anything else. My 01 Tahoe called for regular, and the manual explained that the engine was designed to run on regular and high test has more carbon in it, and would cause the engine to carbon up. Now, with the computer regulated induction systems, that may not be a problem. I'm running regular in mine because the 40-50 cents a gallon more for premium, times 36 gallons, plus mower gas, comes to $20 more every time I fuel up. I thought about trying non ethanol when I'm in WV, but it's almost a dollar more per gallon than regular at Royal Farms at home. I paid $2.39 my last fill up and my total was $88. That was the truck, walk behind, and a 5 gallon jug.

So what did they say was causing your problems???
I think it was driver error. At first I was only getting 18 maybe 20 down hill. After about 5,000 miles it went up to 20-21. The first couple times I took the trailer to WV I didn't reset the trip odometer and it was locked into the 18 from the previous day, so I thought I was getting great mileage. Then I reset and it dropped to 13, so it shocked me. Now I reset every day, or when I put the trailer on. I'm getting pretty consistent 13-15 with the trailer and walk behind on it. The old Ram was only getting about 13 empty and 8-9 with the trailer. I'm very happy. Plus, with the trailer on, I can pull out and pass without a second thought. One time I was leaving one of my lawns and the guys clearing lines had one lane blocked. I was first in line that got stopped. When the guy waved me on I guess I was going too slow for him, so he started waving the flag for me to get going. I kind of stepped on it a little harder than I wanted, and fried the tires.

I finally got some direction on the storm clean up. Thought I'd throw this out there. If anyone is near Bloomington, IN I'm heading out there this afternoon to W. Dittemore Rd. There is one house in particular I'm working at. Single dad with a broken arm. Driveway totally blocked with trees, and still no power since Saturday. Need to clear the driveway and clear for the power company trucks to install a new drop. Then clean up what I can. Luckily the house is mostly undamaged. The devastation in that area is unreal. It's right where the tornado went through. Large areas of forest totally leveled, power poles snapped like toothpicks.dittemore.jpg dittemore2.jpg dittemore3.jpg

Page 188 of the owner's manual:

"Your vehicle is designed to operate on (87 octane) fuel."

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended". (especially in hot weather or when towing)

So, your dealer "can't recommend" anything else even though our owner's manual does! Very Interesting.

I'm sure your engine will do OK and survive the warranty on regular fuel. I'm also pretty darn sure it will run cooler and not work as hard (especially towing) running on premium.

Since I plan to keep my truck for a long time, and will sometimes tow with it (and work it hard), I will run mine on premium, as I believe it will last longer that way.

Plus, if I want to pass someone on a two lane road, I want the extra performance.

We all get to make choices based on what we think is best for our circumstances.

What maple is this...Silver? I'm only getting the rounds, never saw the tree or leaves...

It doesn't have the coarse bark a Sugar typically gets when it is this big.
0e2c1b80524a9cb2bfb817548ac0f852.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not Spruce !

Happy Bday Chucker !!!!

What maple is this...Silver? I'm only getting the rounds, never saw the tree or leaves...

It doesn't have the coarse bark a Sugar typically gets when it is this big.
0e2c1b80524a9cb2bfb817548ac0f852.jpg

Soft, almost brittle...fairly wide growth rings.

I finally got some direction on the storm clean up. Thought I'd throw this out there. If anyone is near Bloomington, IN I'm heading out there this afternoon to W. Dittemore Rd. There is one house in particular I'm working at. Single dad with a broken arm. Driveway totally blocked with trees, and still no power since Saturday. Need to clear the driveway and clear for the power company trucks to install a new drop. Then clean up what I can. Luckily the house is mostly undamaged. The devastation in that area is unreal. It's right where the tornado went through. Large areas of forest totally leveled, power poles snapped like toothpicks.View attachment 741995 View attachment 741996 View attachment 741997

Stay safe , lots of tension in them trees , treat them as a loaded gun , study before you cut .

Not yet Ryan but I'll let you know. A lot of GTG's going on in the fall so i have to see what weekend looks good.
Count me in. I bought a 45" bar for the 1050. I let James Miller play with it last year, with the 24" bar. When he set it down he looked up and said, "Needs more bar". Pending dates clashing with daughters wedding, shooting weekend in Noxen PA, opening day in WV. When I retired, I never thought I'd be so busy. Oh, I bought a 69CC SkillSaw yesterday, maybe that will be running by then, heavy little bugger.

Count me in. I bought a 45" bar for the 1050. I let James Miller play with it last year, with the 24" bar. When he set it down he looked up and said, "Needs more bar". Pending dates clashing with daughters wedding, shooting weekend in Noxen PA, opening day in WV. When I retired, I never thought I'd be so busy. Oh, I bought a 69CC SkillSaw yesterday, maybe that will be running by then, heavy little bugger.
I need to check hunting dates since I like the last 2 weeks of our archery season for rut. Don't want to get to late like last year when it snowed 2 days before the GTG here.:angry:

Latest posts

Back