new Stihl ms 250 vs used 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurentianLog

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Happy to be a part of this forum. I just purchased the adjacent 2 acre lot beside my current property of 1.5 acres. Both properties have a mix of saplings, medium sizes trees some mature maple, sprice and pine etc. I’m planning on cleaning up the land and looking to buy my first quality chainsaw. Stihl has product on sale right now and they have the ms 250 for 300$ usd. There is also someone selling a used ms 261 for for the same price. The guy says it was used for 2 weeks and has been sitting in his garage in storage. If the 261 runs well is worth getting it instead of a new saw that will come with a warranty? I know there is a considerable difference in quality between the 250 and 261. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

261 would be my choice, all day long. Similar weight with more power and better build quality/components. As has been mentioned be sure the 261 runs properly.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

You'll buy the 250 and always wish you would have bought the 261, but I highly doubt you'll buy the 261 and ever wish you would have bought the 250.
Let the 261 warm up and cut for a good 5 or 10 minutes to reach full operating temperature so you know if it runs right.

Thanks! Appreciate it. This is what I’m thinking too.

Im a bit biased, but Id take the used ms261 over a new ms250 any day of the week. Not saying a ms250 is bad...its not. The ms261 is just better and has pro features that are not on the 250.

Latest posts

Back