Echo CS310 - brand new; chain gets jammed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Herre

Reaction score
Newbie here. Bought a new ECHO CS310. Starts easy, runs well, but once I start cutting, the chain stops/jams. Feels as if the saw does not have enough power. Yes, I tightened the chain and chain can be moved manually. Was trying to cut a 10" gree Aspen. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Newbie here. Bought a new ECHO CS310. Starts easy, runs well, but once I start cutting, the chain stops/jams. Feels as if the saw does not have enough power. Yes, I tightened the chain and chain can be moved manually. Was trying to cut a 10" gree Aspen. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Is the chain brake dragging slightly? Are you getting oil on the chain? Maybe try to pre-oil the bar.

Does the saw move the chain out of the wood?

Provide a little more context for the experts here.

Is the chain brake dragging slightly? Are you getting oil on the chain? Maybe try to pre-oil the bar.

Does the saw move the chain out of the wood?

Provide a little more context for the experts here.

Thanks much: Did not notice a drag on chain brake. Chain is oily and I have now manually oiled the bar. Same result. Chain gets stuck after an inch of cutting.
Not sure what this means "Does the saw move the chain out of the wood?"

Thanks much: Did not notice a drag on chain brake. Chain is oily and I have now manually oiled the bar. Same result. Chain gets stuck after an inch of cutting.
Not sure what this means "Does the saw move the chain out of the wood?"

Poor wording on my part. Does the saw spin the chain ok when not in wood?

I think the first step is change the chain as mentioned above. If that doesn’t help, then it’s likely either clutch or engine issue.

Since you bought it brand new you Could always bring it back and ask for a refund.

How did you determine the chain was tight enough?
If by chance you tightened the chain until the adjustment screw felt tight-you’ve overtightened the chain itself.

Could you post a video of the saw cutting?
Search YouTube for how to properly tension the chain. It's easier than you may think and it's far from super critical. Close enough is close enough, but too tight or too lose is bad.

Wow - you guys are awesome! I have bought a new chain, installed it and used YouTube to make sure I have the right (?) tension, but with the snow (yes!) we've been getting in CO, I have not gotten out yet to try it. Should be 'good' weather tomorrow....
If/when I have more trouble, I will post videos as suggested above.
Thanks again.

Wow - you guys are awesome! I have bought a new chain, installed it and used YouTube to make sure I have the right (?) tension, but with the snow (yes!) we've been getting in CO, I have not gotten out yet to try it. Should be 'good' weather tomorrow....
If/when I have more trouble, I will post videos as suggested above.
Thanks again.
If the old chain ever dropped of while the saw was running there could be a damaged drive link or a stiff link.
If you find a scuffed drive link maybe a burr use a file and smooth it. Free up stiff links. Then put the chain back on loose enough that you can see a little bottom sag but the bottom drive link is barely in the bar groove (it helps to first remove bar and clean bar groove), then wearing ALL SAFETY EQUIPMENT in case chain comes off, gently run the saw motor a bit over idle allowing the chain to cut only AIR. Then kill motor and check to see if chain is sagging. If so adjust chain and using a heavy leather glove on your hand to keep from getting cut, set the saw on a bench grab the TOP of the bar only so you ARE NOT pulling against the cutters, and see IF the chain easily rotates on the bar.
If so oil the chain by dropping some oil on the chain while its laying on its side motor IDLING. Then hold saw at 45% and run saw just fast enough for chain to rotate and draw the oil into the links. Race motor a few times less than a minute at a time. Kill motor, Set saw on bench check chain for tension. Is the bar heating up? If not you may be fine. Depending on the temperature you bar oil may not be flowing fast enough or it may be slinging off and not lubercating. Good luck.

Back