Chainsaw Tie Straps Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I recently got an old Pioneer chainsaw and was having difficulty determining the correct chain size and link count. With that now determined, I have yet another dilema. I need a 69DL chain in .325 with .058" drive links. I cannot find a new chain anywhere with the correct requirements. So, I will have to resort to ordering online, but here is where my problem arises. If I order a chain that has all my requirements, only with more DL, and I shorten it, do I need special tie straps designed for a .058 chain, or will any .325 tie straps work. I will probably be ordering from overseas, so would like to do this all in one shot if possible. Thank you. I also have just one more spot to try calling tomorrow to see if they may be able to make me a chain up, but am not holding my breath. I am not in a rush to get the chain, so I do have time to look around, even for a used one, as I will not be doing too much with this saw. Thank you.

So I recently got an old Pioneer chainsaw and was having difficulty determining the correct chain size and link count. With that now determined, I have yet another dilema. I need a 69DL chain in .325 with .058" drive links. I cannot find a new chain anywhere with the correct requirements. So, I will have to resort to ordering online, but here is where my problem arises. If I order a chain that has all my requirements, only with more DL, and I shorten it, do I need special tie straps designed for a .058 chain, or will any .325 tie straps work. I will probably be ordering from overseas, so would like to do this all in one shot if possible. Thank you. I also have just one more spot to try calling tomorrow to see if they may be able to make me a chain up, but am not holding my breath. I am not in a rush to get the chain, so I do have time to look around, even for a used one, as I will not be doing too much with this saw. Thank you.
Just need .325 straps. 58ga is thickness of drive links.

I'm sure if you call your local saw shop they can set you up.

I'd offer, but don't have any .058" .325, that's not a common one around here (most everything is .050)

Not too common here either. It is an old Pioneer chainsaw and bar. Looking on the local ads for a used complete saw too.

Sorry, just saw about not having much luck with calling.

Maybe the larger suppliers, like Madsen's, Scotsco, Comstock Logging, etc, etc

Now that I know the tie straps will fit, I will be ordering up a chain and tie straps hopefully tomorrow evening. Thank you.

Every .325 preset I've seen is the same for .050 & .058. I guess when used on .050 it has a little more flexibility.
Curious. 69 is an odd count. Is it a 17" bar?

I will have to say with 95% certainty, that it is truly a 16" bar. Reason for this is what I read online when looking up model numbers, as well as the magazine ad (?) posted by pioneerguy600 in the Pioneer Chainsaw Sticky. In teh ad, it shows the bar on a P25 and makes mention in teh specs that it is a 16". I can honestly be still wrong, but this is just going by the information I have found and was given. But, thanks to you and your question, I looked the ad over carefully again, and noticed the P25 utilizes a 3/8" chain with the said 16" bar. I May also start looking for a new drive sprocket/housing assembly as well.

Just need .325 straps. 58ga is thickness of drive links.

Every .325 preset I've seen is the same for .050 & .058.

Great, thank you for that. I was just not sure if they were different for each size of drive link.

It depends on the brand of chain.

Most common STIHL drive links are 0.063", and swaged down for 0.058" or 0.050" gauge chains.
Most common Oregon drive links are either 0.063", OR 0.058" and swaged down for 0.050". Except the ones that are straight gauged.
I can't tell you about the 3rd party brands, or chains that you might be getting from overseas.

Best to verify that the presets you buy are compatible with the size and brand of chain you are using. Order some at the same time?
Swaged Drive Links.png

Philbert

Most common STIHL drive links are 0.063", and swaged down for 0.058" or 0.050" gauge chains.
Most common Oregon drive links are either 0.063" OR 0.058" and swaged down for 0.050". Except the ones that are straight gauged.
I can't tell you about the 3rd party brands, or chains that you might be getting from overseas.

Best to verify that the presets you buy are compatible with the size and brand of chain you are using. Order some at the same time?
View attachment 742070

Philbert

Thank you Philbert. That diagram that you posted is kind of in line of what I was trying to think of saying, but did not know how to put into words. Reason is I have Stihl tie straps for 3/8 LP .050", and they DID NOT fit any of the 3 chains I tried using them on, as I guess they are chain specific. If I am to order the chain from overseas online, I was going to write the supplier and ask for a couple tie straps extra for my needs. Thank you all again. I may have a lead on someone kinda locally that may have an old non running saw complete that I may be able to pick up and would just use parts from it. Just that I may not find out for a couple weeks.... I now have a few good leads to go on from the help of those in the forum here, and I greatly appreciate the help!

If you have the chain breaker use the anvil in the exact center of the rivet to break the chain. Sometimes I’ve seen the link reused again.

I have Oregon chain - .325 -058= any length. I don't know where Oakbank is, but I do not mail to foreign countries. chainsawlady

I will have to say with 95% certainty, that it is truly a 16" bar. Reason for this is what I read online when looking up model numbers, as well as the magazine ad (?) posted by pioneerguy600 in the Pioneer Chainsaw Sticky. In teh ad, it shows the bar on a P25 and makes mention in teh specs that it is a 16". I can honestly be still wrong, but this is just going by the information I have found and was given. But, thanks to you and your question, I looked the ad over carefully again, and noticed the P25 utilizes a 3/8" chain with the said 16" bar. I May also start looking for a new drive sprocket/housing assembly as well.

I have ordered chains before to a specified DL count and asked that they don't join the chain and that they send the preset and tie strap with it.

That way you can shorten the chain and have the preset and tie strap to join it.

Most common Oregon drive links are either 0.063", OR 0.058" and swaged down for 0.050". Except the ones that are straight gauged.

Philbert
That makes perfect sense. I worked with Oregon .325 & .375(3/8) chain for years but only ever .058 so
I never got to compare it with .050.
However, the question it raises for me is why there seems to have been general move away from .058 to .050, if the chain itself is no narrower than .058?

However, the question it raises for me is why there seems to have been general move away from .058 to .050, if the chain itself is no narrower than .058?
There seem to be regional preferences for certain gauges. Also, some manufacturers seem to be associated with specific gauges (STIHL 0.063", Husqvarna 0.058"). So some of it appears to be marketing, some appears to be engineering decisions, some of it appears to be random.

You can make rational choices, or use what is a available in your area.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back