Chain sharpening.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Carlton's quality as good as it used to be?
My buddy bought a couple loops last year at the local shop for one of his Pioneer saws, weird drive link count so this guy would make them up, local ***** dealer couldn’t be bothered. My buddy wasn’t happy. Said they dulled quick and would’nt take a good edge. Just one guy’s opinion.

My buddy bought a couple loops last year at the local shop for one of his Pioneer saws, weird drive link count so this guy would make them up, local ***** dealer couldn’t be bothered. My buddy wasn’t happy. Said they dulled quick and would’nt take a good edge. Just one guy’s opinion.
That is not so.

Skip chain does that hace other benifets other than sharpening less? I heard it cutss faster too.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Difference is negligible. Some even argue about it. Its close enough between the two to make no difference in my eyes.

Ill take less sharping please[emoji16]. I will drink a beer when im done while watching the full comp user as he is still sharpening [emoji1787]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

So its settled I'll stick with my hand files. This is my current set up. A mounted vise on old coffee table and a stool.. Haha so far it does the trick!
f04a2c77a7349b4209aa66de12e7c6a8.jpg

Hahahahah!!!!! Sssssshhhhhhh.......

Ok heres what im working with.... Constructive criticism is welcome. I try to do a 30° angle with a 10° drop for full chizz. This chain is a .325 050 72 DL oregon chain
3f97267c95b3d9a037b781b9aaaf9cd1.jpg
55f671324968082f643ee3354a55edf7.jpg
f957b5a9f3a78437662b3bc5c1bb1329.jpg

File is too low on the tooth. Doesn't look like you're getting the working corner enough. Look up "Buckin Billy Ray" on YouTube. Probably the best videos and teacher for people learning how to hand file. Sharpening is tough to explain via text.

Also, what really helped me learn how to sharpen is the Husky guide. Pretty hard to not file correctly with it. It also has the raker gauge with it. Raker height is very important as well as sharpness. You can make a good cutting chain with the guide and raker gauge without really knowing how to sharpen. If you get one and need help with understanding how to use it feel free to PM me. Took me a bit to figure it out and youtube wasnt all that helpful

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-531300082-325-Inch-Pixel-Chain/dp/B0035AKJLC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=GB33ZNFYWF6I&keywords=husqvarna+file+guide+.325&qid=1560976543&s=gateway&sprefix=husqvarna+file+,aps,199&sr=8-4

Latest posts

Back