Y would you build a splitter like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm unclear if the additions are supposed to be wedges or a movable foot plate. It sort of looks like they are sharpened. Then the main wedge doesn’t look sharpened.

I just can’t figure out what the builder was going for.

Show us how it works for You. Someone local own it? Took vertical use out of splitter. Safety system, takes two hands to operate?

I have no idea how it works. I only saw the pictures on a local auction site and they left me scratching my head. My guess is the owner isn’t around any more to ask. I figured I’d post it here and see what the splitter experts thought.

I saw an article in the Farm Show paper of a wood slitter modified like that used for crushing steel auto tire rims in from three directions so that they could pop the rubber tires off quickly at a scrapyard

I think we have a winner here. I couldn’t see any way this thing would be useful for splitting wood but this makes sense.

Or at less than 1/10 the cost you could just use a reciprocating saw.

Not so much on wire anymore. High carbon, high tensile in bead and in carcass.

The ones I saw in FarmShow were MUCH faster, like typical log splitter, and pushed the rim in more, like the second rim shown on the ground in the video. This one seemed really slow.

I have used a log splitter to dismount a tire before but I pinched the tire between a block of wood and the foot of the splitter to break the bead. Then with some soap and tire spoons dismount the tire saving both the tire and wheel almost as fast as that video. That thing wouldn't handle the size tire and wheel I was working on either.
I know that those are for a different purpose than I need but I find that people throw out lots of useable things. I have hauled off both tires (with wires showing) and wheels (with a rusted out valve stem hole) but I find that I can repurpose most things.

Back