Large dealer service time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this time of year what kind of wait times should one expect

I'm on 3 weeks for a coil and flash, coil under warranty only going to cost $35 for labor and flash
should have on week 4

2 weeks to look at, 3 day for warranty approval and a week to have a big enough order to place with out shipping charge

550xp saw

husky dealers a few and far between in my area, this is the dealer everyone recommended, they sell stihl complete line and husky saws pro only and efco blowers only

Is saw out of warranty, but coil covered by life time warranty? One month seems to be unreasonable.

Summertime grass cutting season. The dealers are up to there shoulders in work. I guess they charge labor for warranty work?
Strange the manufacturer paid the dealer for warranty work? Is the dealer double dipping? I’d call another dealer.

Summertime grass cutting season. The dealers are up to there shoulders in work. I guess they charge labor for warranty work?
Strange the manufacturer paid the dealer for warranty work? Is the dealer double dipping? I’d call another dealer.
To me, it reads that the dealer is charging a programming fee (although why it would need reprogramming if the carb was not touched seems odd), and it was only the coil that is under warranty.

I drive 70 miles to my dealer. They know that, and they know I run a saw 40+ hours a week, not 4 hours every other weekend. I buy a saw there about every 2 years. A flash and a new coil on an Auto-Tune they would do while I stand by the bench, or am roaming the shelves to stock up on misc. supplies. Fuel line stuff, they would not. Maybe they would in the winter time though.

They tend to check the carb model, and the ignition module (5 different on 550s over the years), and then hook it up to the laptop just to make sure it is running the newest / best possible Operating System, basically. They might do that if you came in with a broken plastic switch and no other problem, just as an automatic service for their customers I believe. The last time my 550 XP was in (drum teeth wore out) they hooked it up, and said "oops, we already loaded in the newer programming last time" (smashed the clutch cover that time). The 550 hasn't really needed much maintenance aside from some bad luck externally, nothing to do with the saw itself.

They receive a parts shipment from Husqy - daily, and it is fairly rare that they don't already have a part you might need, though I am good at needing esoteric parts off clearing saws. Sometimes, those end up arriving from Sweden quite a bit later on.

On Monday mornings, they also receive 1 or sometimes 2 pallets of saws on repair contracts from stores without a service department, and/or a large utility contractor. People they don't know will be placed in the same line with the saws coming off those pallets. They have completely separate departments for saws and lawn tractors.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad about your dealer, just relating what it can be like to drive to a really high volume one. It's worth it. I travel a lot for my work, and I usually just ask a basic question when I am too far away from my regular dealer - "where do the loggers go around here?"

But smaller shops have routine long wait times as they assemble a large enough parts/supplies order (oil, etc.) from Husqy to qualify for free shipping. I believe it can be worth asking if you can pay for shipping to get a needed item outside of their next "re-up" on stuff. I believe with small shops and the Stihl supply chain, you are just going to pay for shipping, automatically.

Well, somebody has to pay for shipping. I let customers know in advance what shipping will cost plus the part cost. But, I do not add in $80/hr for labor, which is the local hourly rate. My squawk is that people pay that and still wait two weeks before the repair even starts. I can get parts shipped in most of the time in less than one week and start working on the repair the day the parts arrive.

I drive 70 miles to my dealer. They know that, and they know I run a saw 40+ hours a week, not 4 hours every other weekend. I buy a saw there about every 2 years. A flash and a new coil on an Auto-Tune they would do while I stand by the bench, or am roaming the shelves to stock up on misc. supplies. Fuel line stuff, they would not. Maybe they would in the winter time though.

They tend to check the carb model, and the ignition module (5 different on 550s over the years), and then hook it up to the laptop just to make sure it is running the newest / best possible Operating System, basically. They might do that if you came in with a broken plastic switch and no other problem, just as an automatic service for their customers I believe. The last time my 550 XP was in (drum teeth wore out) they hooked it up, and said "oops, we already loaded in the newer programming last time" (smashed the clutch cover that time). The 550 hasn't really needed much maintenance aside from some bad luck externally, nothing to do with the saw itself.

They receive a parts shipment from Husqy - daily, and it is fairly rare that they don't already have a part you might need, though I am good at needing esoteric parts off clearing saws. Sometimes, those end up arriving from Sweden quite a bit later on.

On Monday mornings, they also receive 1 or sometimes 2 pallets of saws on repair contracts from stores without a service department, and/or a large utility contractor. People they don't know will be placed in the same line with the saws coming off those pallets. They have completely separate departments for saws and lawn tractors.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad about your dealer, just relating what it can be like to drive to a really high volume one. It's worth it. I travel a lot for my work, and I usually just ask a basic question when I am too far away from my regular dealer - "where do the loggers go around here?"

But smaller shops have routine long wait times as they assemble a large enough parts/supplies order (oil, etc.) from Husqy to qualify for free shipping. I believe it can be worth asking if you can pay for shipping to get a needed item outside of their next "re-up" on stuff. I believe with small shops and the Stihl supply chain, you are just going to pay for shipping, automatically.

Thats why all my saws I have spares for. They are old but good. And I don't need an idiot "mech" telling me how to fix it for $70 an hour, or wait in line................. for the idiot that can't look up parts. Husky /Stihl take your pick.

I won't buy a new saw, or car/truck, to buy 1/2 price to work on it.

If you do ,put a I'm Stupid , sticker on your bumper

Double dipping. When it comes to money people get greedy.

The flat rate is what they pay. Not what the job might take.
$35 bucks is most likely a admin fee. Good for them. We should do the same.

I just spent close to 2 1/2 hrs on a new battery product Distributor got involved. The experts.
After they stumbled and bumbled their way along, showing a disturbing display of incompetence,
they replaced the unit. I got reimbursed 15 min.

Latest posts

Back