Bought another Echo CS-620PW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My brother ended up with the CS-620PW I purchased a couple years back and now I'm having to replace it....bummer.

Home Depot is running a special on them so I grabbed one up and it arrived the day I left for vacation. I did find a few minutes to remove and modify the limiter caps on the carb and open up the muffler deflector so the exhaust free flows without any obstructions.

I love everything about the CS-620PW including the price. Going to outfit this one with a shorter 20" bar (currently 24") and use it for tops and firewood. I just logged a new piece of property purchased recently and have close to 70 tops on the ground.

At some point I'll do some timed cutting against my CS-590 and 600p to see if there really is 13 percent more power hiding in the 620 someplace........Cliff

I don't even need a CS620p, but im interested in this thread. Is the sale limited to in stock saws at HD or can they order one? I don't believe my local HD stocks Echo saws over 59cc

I've been looking hard at that saw. I purchased a dolmar 6100 and sold it to my friend for exactly what I paid for it because he loved it and he needed a good saw quickly. Now I can't decide to either get another one or get the echo620pw. Or a makita dcs6421.... Im so tossed up. Price weight ect. Any suggestions the eco looks great and its currently 60$ off.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Like 10% off on select saws. And yes you need to order online for pw

On-line only far as I know, I got free shipping and no-tax on the 24" bar version. The shorter 20" bar was $100 more, the 27" bar about $20 more.

Pound for pound and dollar for dollar difficult to buy more saw for the money unless you opt for the CS-590. It on the same chassis with a few less Pro features.......Cliff

I went with the 6421!!! I really like both saws and next will be an echo. I did the 6421 because the big bore that is available. Its heavy but my main goal is to be able to work on my saw myself and I thought a kit is a good place to start. After I take apart a "pratice saw a part and reassemble that is. Thanks for the comments guys.

I like the design in addition to professional features and good power to weight. It literally only takes a minute to remove the carburetor. I've working on other saws where you literally have to take half the saw apart to get the carb off, then be a magician to put it back in place.

I also learned a new trick to removing the limiter caps that is much less intrusive than engaging them with a sharp pointed screw and pulling them. I very carefully took a scribe and worked them up one at a time and out thru the two slots in the retaining cover. Ground off the tabs and pressed them right back in place. They were already pretty well lined up with the slots so about all I had to do was work them straight up a little at a time.

The factory used a LOT of loctite on the upper muffler bolts making them difficult to remove and they fought me right to the last thread. These were much harder to remove than any of the ones I've done previously so expect a little extra effort in that area on the newer units........Cliff

Ok I'll look out for that. Thanks for the tips.

Echo CS 620p (or SX for us Europeans) is a hell of a saw.I don't really care about more performance against the 590 (this is why i bought the 590) but the aluminum front handle is a deal breaker for me.Good for me i found a European wearhouse that has Echo parts for really cheap.I bought the aluminum bar from the 501SX for my 490 for 6€ and i just checked and they have the aluminum front handle bar from the 620SX for 7€.I must place an order soon.I see US price difference between 590 and 620 is really small and makes the 620p a better option.

First update. Finally got caught up enough to do some cutting with the 620.

Remarkably the carburetor adjustments as from the factory are pretty close. I moved the "L" screw in slightly and it slowed the RPM's, backed it out some, then ended up pretty close to right back where it started. I added a little extra oil to the first tank and didn't work it real hard for the first few minutes. I did a couple of full throttle/no load tests and it's "four stroking" nicely and getting plenty of fuel from the "H" speed screw.

I ended up cutting up a cherry tree that we had taken down close to the house, about 16" diameter and it went thru it effortlessly, cleaning up nicely in the cut and instantly four-stroking when the load was removed.

This will be the first Echo chainsaw we've pulled out of the box that I consider within acceptable limits for carburetor adjustments. All the others were lean, some so lean they wouldn't even run till fully warmed up and even then down on power and hesitating when you hit the throttle.

Going to put a few tanks thru the saw then do some timed cuts against the CS-590 and 600P to see if there is really 13 percent more power lurking around someplace.........Cliff

I'm curious to see how the stock 590 cuts compared to the 620. Im looking forward to the the test. Im also wondering how my ported 590 would stack up agenst a stock 620 now. It seems like it picked up some power. But with out running a 620 it's hard to say how good or bad it is. Watching YouTube videos of the 620 I have been impressed. Looks like it cuts very very well with a muff mod. And tune of course.

My bet is that the 620 will do noticeably better. Than the 590. Judging by the timing numbers in the cylinder. The 620 should definatly have some more rpm. After all it seems it just a hot rod version of the 590. Bigger carb, unlimited coil, more aggressive port timing. I'm betting at least a second or 2 faster per cut.

Are you going to test with stock mufflers or all with muff mod Cliff?

I'm going to run the CS-590, CS-600P and CS-620PW all in the same log with the same bar/chain. I've already got a nice Cherry blow-down from a recent storm picked out, about 18-20" in diameter.

It's just been WAY too hot/humid here to do a test. I have been running the CS-620PW some to get it well seated in. Even in this "pea-soup" humidity it's a strong runner and I've grown quite fond of it.

All three of my saws have stock mufflers, but the deflectors are opened up, and the limiter caps removed and modified for fine tuning.

My 600P is also an early version, and it shows a different part number in the IPL's for the piston, cylinder, and coil than the CS-590. I think it even uses a different carb as well. So I'm basically testing three different saws. My 600 is also a little stronger than the 590, at least I get that impression when I run them on the same outing. I even have a 24" bar on the 600 and it handles it with good authority, at least for a 60cc saw.

Way back when I first got it I did some back to back testing against my 262XP. I even repeated that testing several times and the 600P is just a tad faster every single time. Being a long time Husqvarna loyalist that was a little surprising for me, but the numbers don't lie, the CS-600P is a strong running 60cc saw. If the CS-620PW really has another 13 percent power over the 600P that will be even better!........Cliff

That's crazy they changed the 600 that much.. be interesting to see if there is a difference between the 590 in the cut. I wonder if the port timing fell somewhere between the 590 and 620.

I know what you mean about the heat. It's hot here rite now as well. Havnt had the saws out for a few weeks.. however I hope to run my 800p early thurs morning and do a final tune. See what she dose with bigger carb and new muffler.

I'm looking forward to your test.

Here is a video my 590 after my port job on some green sappy pine. Bar just barly stuck out the end. I am super happy with my 590. I really like what I've seen from the 620. I'm still not sure about my 800p yet. I still have a few more tweaks left up my sleeve if the test dosnt go good on thurs.

Echo did a pretty good job on these 60cc didn't they!

That 590 sounds clean, no lack of power for sure.

I like what Echo did enough with the 60cc platform that I own 3 of them! I've put enough time on my CS-590 to wear out the original bar and half a dozen chains. It's pretty much my "go-to" saw for bigger work these days, otherwise I'm usually running a 50cc saw.

They have a few other "home-runs" hiding in the line-up. Pound for pound my CS-510 is the best of the bunch.

Temps dropped back some here today but no time for running saws, I have an 8 month backlog in the shop at the moment so staying on that till I get caught up some........Cliff

The 510 looks like a great saw as well. I have my eye on a cs 352 for the smalls. That way I have a small med and large saws to cover everything I come across. The 352 seems to cut alright. Even Better with muff mod. Its only 34cc but for branches and small trees should do good I hope!
Do you have Any time with a 352?

Back