Husqvarna 266XP vs Stihl 038AV Super?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been looking for a 60cc class saw to pull a 20" bar, and a few months ago picked up a somewhat neglected Stihl 038AV Super. Compression was pretty good at 150psi, and didn't take much to get it cranked, so I took a chance on the saw. Got it home, and soon discovered a decent amount of scoring on the exhaust side (intake side was fine). Couldn't decide what I wanted to do with the saw, so its been sort of abandoned while I looked for a replacement piston.

As luck would have it, ran across a local deal on a Husqvarna 266XP. Haven't checked the serial number, but I am assuming its a late 80's/early 90's saw. Compression on this one is almost 180psi, and you can definitely feel it when cranking. Saw is in very good shape, and doesn't look like its been abused. It also cranked fairly easily, and with the exception of a high idle, seems to be a solid saw. I still need to pull the exhaust and intake to check the piston, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that its ok.

Here are my questions. What's the general consensus on the 266XP? Assuming the saw checks out, any reason to even bother with the 038? How do they compare with a 372XP, at least with 20" bars? My previous 20" saw was a 575XP, and I still have a 372XP with a 24" bar, so I am a little curious to see if there is much difference between the saws.

I ran both the 266se and the 575xp. The 266 is one of the best mid sized husky saws ever made. The difference between the saws comes in with longer bars on the 575.

038/61cc
266/66.7cc
372/71cc
575/73cc

I don’t expect the Stihl to keep up with the others.

I bought my "Old Reliable" 266XP, New in about '91, and it is still a Rabid Beaver on Steroids :chainsaw:, That saw made a Husky believer out of me.

I am normally cutting Conifers, D Fir mostly, I can bury a 24" bar with full comp on it, and it keeps going.

"Old Reliable" and a Husky 23 Compact, Top Handle were my 2 saw plan for about 25 years, before I even knew that I had a "2 saw plan";).

At 66.7cc, I'm not sure if the 266XP should be considered a 60cc Class saw, or an Honorary 70cc class saw:confused:, either way, you will be hard pressed to find a Better saw in it's class

Doug :cheers:

Here are a few pics, never owned one of the cases...

20190618_135401_jpg-986014.JPG

20190620_073200_jpg-986015.JPG

20190620_073204_jpg-986016.JPG

20190620_073213_jpg-986017.JPG

20190620_073217_jpg-986018.JPG

87 for sure I have 2 266xp from 87 and both have the metal flag chain break
They are a superb saw on either 18” or 20” bars
If it has 170/180 psi then piston and ring are good - of course pull exhaust to be sure there is
I do a base gasket delete on these saws and replace crank seals as standard and they really come alive as compression increases to 190/200 psi
Set the H jet to 12500 rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your saw would have had metal flag as well as the handle, pull handle and trigger plastics are black
Plastic flag coincides with change to grey plastic in 88/89 as far as I am aware

In my world there were predominantly two saws back then; 266 and 262 Husky’s.

Those who wanted a sports car bought the 262

Those who wanted a durable saw above reproach bought the 266. I doubt that it’s ever been bettered, that 266.

If yours checks out, it is a keeper. You likely won’t find many others in that condition.

It does appear that the clutch cover/brake flag may have been updated, hence the question mark in my previous post. When the plastic flags first started appearing there was a lot of skepticism regarding durability. They certainly aren’t as tough as the metal ones, so the saws started to go on the top of the pile in the back of the truck, rather than the bottom..lol.

How much does the 266 share with a 61? Also, what are the differences between the 266 and 262 XP??

The differences between the 266 and the 61 are as follows
Bigger carb 228 vs 163 tillotson in 61 (don’t hold me on the numbers)
Larger shoes in clutch
Closed port 50 mm Mahle piston and cylinder in 266 vs 48 mm open port gilardoni or K&S in 61
The exhaust is also slightly different

262xp is totally different animal and shares basically nothing with the 266xp
Faster lighter saw for falling and limbing softwoods in Europe
262xp is from the 154 254xp 257 family and is the highest power offering on that chassis

Thanks for the information!

I'm excited to get the 266 cutting, at least after I get a couple of the chains sharpened. Looks like it will be a perfect saw for a 20" bar, now I just have to figure out what to do with the Stihl 038...

My ported 266 will keep up with most any 372
I've been looking for a 60cc class saw to pull a 20" bar, and a few months ago picked up a somewhat neglected Stihl 038AV Super. Compression was pretty good at 150psi, and didn't take much to get it cranked, so I took a chance on the saw. Got it home, and soon discovered a decent amount of scoring on the exhaust side (intake side was fine). Couldn't decide what I wanted to do with the saw, so its been sort of abandoned while I looked for a replacement piston.

As luck would have it, ran across a local deal on a Husqvarna 266XP. Haven't checked the serial number, but I am assuming its a late 80's/early 90's saw. Compression on this one is almost 180psi, and you can definitely feel it when cranking. Saw is in very good shape, and doesn't look like its been abused. It also cranked fairly easily, and with the exception of a high idle, seems to be a solid saw. I still need to pull the exhaust and intake to check the piston, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that its ok.

Here are my questions. What's the general consensus on the 266XP? Assuming the saw checks out, any reason to even bother with the 038? How do they compare with a 372XP, at least with 20" bars? My previous 20" saw was a 575XP, and I still have a 372XP with a 24" bar, so I am a little curious to see if there is much difference between the saws.
I run a 24" on my ported 266s20190202_142903.jpgExcellent saws.
My neighbor runs my 266 instead of his 038
Whenever we cut together
If that tells you anything.
Keep it it's not as high strung as the 372s but
A bit smaller and lighter.

I've considered having the saw ported, but not sure if I would be better served spending money on it or my 372XP. I'd really like to learn how to do it myself, considering I have two different milling machines and a couple of lathes in the shop.

Back