Wood quiz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#1 a branch is small before the bark splits, #1b that is rotted and don't show sapwood vs heartwood distinctive for black cherry. Better pics!

#2 / I'd have went with mullberry too, I don't have it here but a guess, osage

#3 That is spaulted/rotted not fit for a knife. Hard maple?

Nope.
Not mulberry, catalpa, oak, poplar, maple, osage, walnut, chestnut, or elm.

Good guesses, though.

That second one looks a lot like walnut, but the bark is completely wrong. The leaves are a giveaway, so I didn’t post them. They look rather fern-like, and there is a very pretty blossom.

Nope.
Not mulberry, catalpa, oak, poplar, maple, osage, walnut, chestnut, or elm.

Good guesses, though.

That second one looks a lot like walnut, but the bark is completely wrong. The leaves are a giveaway, so I didn’t post them. They look rather fern-like, and there is a very pretty blossom.
Honey locust.

1. Bird cherry (Prunus avium). If not a wild tree, it could have been the base/root stock of an ornamental cherry.

2. I see large growth rings of a fast grower. Was thinking Ailanthus bark, but it's not the pattern that I'm used to seeing and the wood is uncharacteristically dark for that.

3. Mortadella!
But seriously, I'm stumped. Cypress?

Mimosa for no. 2
No. 3 looks like burl, crotch or root flare (I think root flare is most likely.) Type of tree? Is it native to your area, Uncle, or a import, exotic specimen tree? If native, I would guess some sort of maple, but hard maple has been suggested already. Red or silver?

Mimosa for no. 2

No. 3 looks like burl, crotch or root flare

Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner!

Mimosa it is.

And you’re right about #3. This is a burl, with a completely atypical grain pattern. I didn’t expect this at all.

It is.....

(Drum roll, please.....

Apple.

Sorry, I don’t know what kind.

As for the cherry, the neighbor said it was sweet cherry. He used to eat them, but the tree was HUGE (for a cherry).

So in summary:
1. Sweet cherry
2. Mimosa
3. Apple

Thanks for playing. I figured it would be a good challenge. I certainly wouldn’t have gotten #2 or #3.

Back