Port or larger saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick060200

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently got a MS461. I really like this saw. Coming from a 460 rancher its night a day difference. Its more than enough saw for the fire wood and storm trees i do on a yearly basis. I'd like to be able to mill some wood occasionally though and pull a 36" bar to do so. This won't be the main purpose for the saw but I'd like the option if the need arises. A port job is just under $400. whats everyones thoughts on porting the MS461 vs using the money and a little extra to buy a bigger used saw?

You don't need that high chain speed porting brings to a saw.

I run a Ported ms441 for felling and a 3120xp for milling.
The 3120 is also ported but I feel those improvements are not used during milling operation.

For milling, get a big saw with a great oiler and free breathing Muffler to help move heat out.
The cubes and oiler should be your focus.

Additionally a milling set up is best left as such.
It's a hassle to take the beast saw out of the milling "Cage" to go fall or stump a tree.
Much better to leave it as a dedicated mill if you can afford to.
It was a stretch for me to have a dedicated milling saw but now I don't see any other way.

Safe sawing!

Buy a bigger saw to mill, the biggest you can find.

A saw ported for milling is done differently than a saw ported for racing in cants, and there is in between that too.

You won’t believe how much power is needed to mill until you actually do it. It’s surprising.

A 395 is a great saw for it. Great power, great oiler, and outboard clutch to disperse heat.

Even an older 285xp, 298xp, 2100, 2101 could mill too. There are some used ones around just haggle. Some ask $550 or $600 and are happy to get $250/$350. Slap in a new ring and go milling. I ran 2100’s/2101 for many decades and I had a newer 394 I liked the 2100 better.

Back