Stihl 028 AV Super Woodboss muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosemaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what muffler will fit on a Stihl 028AV Super Woodboss? Will the muffler for a 038 or a 029 fit it? Farmertec and Hutzl don't have any. That's where I can usually find parts for older Stihl saws. Any help would be appreciated

Worth fixing, I have sold four of them and kept two. This is a saw that never should have been discontinued:

The little tank brother of the 038. They are built better than any saws that size since, but yes a little more weight, and some have more power. Easy to work on/tune.

I've had mine since 1986.

Here it is off the saw. It has the threads for the side screw.

View attachment 742451 View attachment 742452 View attachment 742453

I know this an old thread, but since there are so many versions and confusing and this has pictures I will try it.

I need this version if anybody has one. Trying to restore for a friend and bought a used crankcase and his muffler won't fit. I can tack a couple of nuts on the back side, but then the only thing holding it will be the cylinder screws. I may be able to tack a nut on the side, but not sure my talent goes quite that far.

It seems everyone is looking for that style of muffler these days, the one with the side mount for a screw, seems the saws all outlasted the mufflers.

It's a simple matter to tighten a couple of screws to nuts on the bottom of his old cover and then tack the nuts on the back. But, not sure how long it will last with no support other than the cylinder screws. It will fit in there. So, I could tack a nut on the side as well. Just trying to figure out how to make it fit. I suppose I could put a nut on the inside with it on the saw and tack it while on the saw. Probably end up making a mess.

I wonder how long it would last with just the two cylinder screws in a new Meteor cylinder ?

It's a simple matter to tighten a couple of screws to nuts on the bottom of his old cover and then tack the nuts on the back. But, not sure how long it will last with no support other than the cylinder screws. It will fit in there. So, I could tack a nut on the side as well. Just trying to figure out how to make it fit. I suppose I could put a nut on the inside with it on the saw and tack it while on the saw. Probably end up making a mess.

I wonder how long it would last with just the two cylinder screws in a new Meteor cylinder ?
Only one way to find out, you have a mig welder?

Maybe Harley still has one left, he has had some in the past like I once did but all gone now. Looks like I will be making newer style mufflers fit up to the older saws when the need arises.

Back