"Husqvarna" or "Stihl" What Looks Better ??? These Days.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the new saws look cool and zooty until you have to clean them and/or take them apart.

The cool zootness wears off pretty quick..

My vote IKIWN ( I know it’s worth nothing) is: none of the new saws look good except for the few models that haven’t changed for 20 years.

We had a nice one. It was badly damaged on the 30 Nov 18 7.2 earthquake. Was sitting on top of a display unit for small engine parts and it fell around 7ft. Broke the rear handle off and a few other bits.
Lost a few other saws as well.
:( The one in my pic was left outside for quite a while, piston was stuck. With some PB blaster and patience, I got it moving, then got it running! It’s loud, smokes like a coal burning train, and cuts so slow, I swear I could cut faster with a hand saw! It’s just part of the collection now!:cool:

There. A box with a bar and chain attached. Smooooth. Tough. Done.

I have to say I do like the tidiness of the Dolmars. My small ones are way easier to clean (with only a scrench) than my other “newer” saws. They are just porky, is all. Fat and smooth.

The only dealers with parts and service around here are mostly Stihl, with one having a small footprint of Husky. Makes the choice easier.

Nothing is better then the old Macs. But if i have to choose Stihls newer design is nice the more angular MS 500i and the BR 800 is kinda nice.

:( The one in my pic was left outside for quite a while, piston was stuck. With some PB blaster and patience, I got it moving, then got it running! It’s loud, smokes like a coal burning train, and cuts so slow, I swear I could cut faster with a hand saw! It’s just part of the collection now!:cool:

My buddy's Dad, original owner of the shop (he's still around, just is in his 80s so doesn't get around too well), ran a few of them back in the day when he ran a logging crew in Montana.

Said at the time he thought they had the world by it's tail running those vs cutting wood by hand!

Both brands looked better 10 years ago than they do now, to me at least, so 460/461R vs 462R and 576xpw vs. 572xpw. I'll choose performance over looks on saws I actually use, shelf queens is another story

I like the style of the 550xp, 562xp and 572xp. They LOOK really cool, especially when partially apart. Like some spaceship from a sci fi movie.

20190618_202739.jpg

Nothing wrong with mine, just getting some performance enhancers done.

Back