The Undying 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always enjoyed using one of these puppies.
It made mowing the lawn more exciting....

Especially with sweaty fingers.

View attachment 742579

Funny story about these. I was running a concrete buggy around all morning and had a good sweat going, the buggy was powered by a 10hp wisconsin that used one of these for the kill switch. On that particular model the top of the engine was a roughly waist height and there was a shroud you had to reach past to get to the kill tab so you couldn't see what you were doing. I'd shut that thing down hundreds of times prior but on this particular journey, when I stuck my finger in there to push the tab down I had missed the tab and stuck my finger directly between the tab and the spark plug. Instead of killing the engine I jazzed up the muscles in my arm really good and apparently I'd have been a pretty good boxer with the way my fist came rocketing out from under that shroud and right into the old speed bag. I spent the next 10 minutes in the fetal position while the rest of my crew got a good giggle.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I suppose I could try it with the ZAT4 installed and see what the spark is doing, as far as sound it doesn't even miss a beat, flipping the switch makes no difference.
I'm leaning toward new coil. I think Stens said they'll send us another one, if that works, great - if not I'm going to suggest to the customer that it'll need an OEM coil to run right again. Or he can just try and get used to flipping the multifunction lever down to choke when he's done using it.

Instead of killing the engine I jazzed up the muscles in my arm really good and apparently I'd have been a pretty good boxer with the way my fist came rocketing out from under that shroud and right into the old speed bag. I spent the next 10 minutes in the fetal position while the rest of my crew got a good giggle.

:laughing:

Alright I want to thank everyone who pitched in. I win the dumbass of the year award though...

The ground wire wasn't installed.

So I think I've learned my lesson. I'm not so afraid of the electronics as I was before.

The very same one. Yes, like I said - I'd assumed I had it right but the other mechanic actually pointed that particular folly out to me.

The very same one. Yes, like I said - I'd assumed I had it right but the other mechanic actually pointed that particular folly out to me.
Tough one to be humbled on but I want to say thanks for your post because it got some interesting replies and keeps one thinking outside of the box.. Now I hope I remember some of the STUFF everyone chided in with...

Tough one to be humbled on but I want to say thanks for your post because it got some interesting replies and keeps one thinking outside of the box.. Now I hope I remember some of the STUFF everyone chided in with...

Yeah, I'll own it. I was thinking I was smarter than I was -- not the case. When is it ever? But yeah, lots of good info as far as how to diagnosis electrical issues... Heck I knew exactly what I was looking for, was just too dense to notice the glaring omission of a very crucial wire.

Yeah, I'll own it. I was thinking I was smarter than I was -- not the case. When is it ever? But yeah, lots of good info as far as how to diagnosis electrical issues... Heck I knew exactly what I was looking for, was just too dense to notice the glaring omission of a very crucial wire.
Wait until you find out it was the owner who left it off and was the only reason for switching to the module!

Wait until you find out it was the owner who left it off and was the only reason for switching to the module!

There goes me being unobservant. I came along after points & condenser systems were well antiquated so I've never had to mess with electrical issues much - I can't swear it was on there when it came in, it definitely wasn't when I got through with it. :crazy2:
He brought it in because he claimed it had no fire; I didn't spend a lot of time on verifying that because he brought a replacement module and just wanted them swapped. Generally speaking I've got plenty to do that I'm not going to second guess a guy bringing me his saw & the part he wants changed on it telling me to take his money.

I guess the rest of us assumed the wire from the engine to the coil was there...

Yeah, you would when I said the wiring was squared away. Turns out I just drank a little too much Kool-Aid this weekend and neglected to look close enough at it.

Just like that time in 1st grade I spent my whole recess looking for my snow boots that I was wearing. :cry:

Latest posts

Back