MS362 idles great. Stalls immediately when throttling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmuwayno

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a MS362 that I've cut a lot of wood with. I love the saw. It idles great forever but as soon as I touch the throttle it stalls. I've reset it and I'm leaving towards the ignition. Thanks for any help.

Can you check the fuel line and intake filter? A split or hole in the line will cause this pattern, and it's one of the easier things to look into.

I won't b home until the end of the weekend so I won't b able to check until then. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help

I won't b home until the end of the weekend so I won't b able to check until then. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help

My pleasure - I'm a novice at this, but when I have had a balky 2-stroke that has seen some use, and this problem developed, it's always been a split or rupture in the fuel line. It seems the material just breaks down over time and needs to be replaced, sooner or later. Over the years I've had this condition with a couple weed-whackers, and I know my dad had it one or twice with a long-running saw. I've never experienced it, but I've heard a clog in the intake filter can do the same.

It's an mtronic

Could be the fuel solenoid. The default state is full open. Once running it supplies voltage to moderate the fuel control. Check your plug to see if it looks wet. If could be running so rich at idle that the crankcase is loading up with fuel and then once you open the throttle a bit it goes so rich can't support combustion. If you open the mtronic test port, then measure with a meter it will read around 33 ohms. There is a solenoid check you can do to see if is moving properly as well. I believe the solenoid has a 2 year warranty from other post I have read. If you get the saw warm you may be able to get it to run a bit at higher rpm but it will still be very rich.

Also remove your bar and chain to remove any issues with the clutch engaging and possible loading the motor to early.

I have a MS362 that I've cut a lot of wood with. I love the saw. It idles great forever but as soon as I touch the throttle it stalls. I've reset it and I'm leaving towards the ignition. Thanks for any help.

Hello all and thanks for the info. Two things first; I am fearless with a wrench but I am a novice so take my posts any way you choose. Second I have teenagers so the delays are unavoidable....update....the saw will rev and run great once in a while upon cold startup. It is getting fuel so I decided to year it down. I replaced the jug and case due to a stripped out plug thread on the case. I helicoiled it and it continued to blow the plug out. After I ran it a few tanks I experienced the stalling problem. I finally tore it back down. Here are pictures. Maybe it was stalling because of blow bye due to the wear. There is some scoring on the side. Next step is??? I enjoy this so I'm not in a huge hurry. Of course I want my saw fixed. Thanks again, Wayno

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_174814938.jpg
    IMG_20190630_174814938.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
Hello all and thanks for the info. Two things first; I am fearless with a wrench but I am a novice so take my posts any way you choose. Second I have teenagers so the delays are unavoidable....update....the saw will rev and run great once in a while upon cold startup. It is getting fuel so I decided to year it down. I replaced the jug and case due to a stripped out plug thread on the case. I helicoiled it and it continued to blow the plug out. After I ran it a few tanks I experienced the stalling problem. I finally tore it back down. Here are pictures. Maybe it was stalling because of blow bye due to the wear. There is some scoring on the side. Next step is??? I enjoy this so I'm not in a huge hurry. Of course I want my saw fixed. Thanks again, Wayno

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_174647159.jpg
    IMG_20190630_174647159.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
The stalling began after I replaced the cap and housing. Is there a complete rebuild that makes sense or do I cut my losses and buy a different saw?

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_174727123.jpg
    IMG_20190630_174727123.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
Wow! that looks like a severe case of pre-ignition and subsequent overheating leading to a roached top-end.

What is your location, what kind of fuel were you using, and how old was it.

I don't know if a leaking spark plug (or de-comp valve) could lean it out enough to cause this issue. It is interesting that the M-tronic control didn't have enough range to compensate for or shut-down the saw to prevent this catastrophic damage.

Looks like Ironman nailed it on the second post with the lean call. Mtronic works great but as it has no sensors in the exhaust to monitor A/F ratio. Air comes in from the path of least resistance. Whatever doesn't flow thru the carb gets no premix. Likely needs a new piston and cylinder. Then pressure and vac check to verify its air tight. You could use the existing cylinder to do pressure and vac test to confirm the condition of the case. Its worth checking the crank for discoloration and the connecting rod for play.

Awesome news. I had the same thought in a much simpler form. I ordered a new piston and cylinder. I will check the crank and rod also. I will report back. Thanks a ton for the expertise, happy Independence day and Godspeed! Wayno out

Latest posts

Back