346xp Frustration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you were willing to ship, there are a handful of guys in PA, Connecticut, and NY that could get it going.

Isn't there one in Northern Michigan who would also do a bang up job?

If I were the OP I would definitely want to get it returned to it's prior glory, they are super nice saws.

Shameless plug for @huskihl

Thank you for all the help and replies. I'm prepping the saw to send out for some work next week. This weekend I still plan on pulling the muffler and taking a look just for my own experience. Hopefully I won't have any more saw related issues till I have more free time and can learn how to deal with it myself. Maybe some day I'll port the 460 myself. I also have a Stihl MS150-TC for limbing and pruning that would probably be wicked fun with a performance rebuild some day.

It's pissing rain right now and I don't have a covered work area currently (the existing tiny shed is full of remodeling stuff), but I did order a compression testing kit. I'll pull the muffler when the rain lets up a bit. Are there any good books (real ones with paper) I can read about small two strokes and/or porting?

I have a digital copy of the two stroke tuners handbook. I can email it to you if you are interested. Some of it may not be applicable or complicated, but it is a good read for knowledge. If you were interested pm me your email address.

i just fixed a early 346...ran then didn't....pull cord no resistance....figured seized......champ spark plug became loose enough where the porcilin is captured in the metal body not to hold compression in the cylinder. Plug was tight first plug failure of that type I have ever seen. A look at the piston on you saw gonna tell ya a lot...good luck

the can

Finally got some time from home renovations to check out the saw. Got the muffler off and it's properly ****ed. I have a feeling a 5occ jug is in the future for this OE 346. Hopefully I can find some time this week to get it down to the UPS store. I'll never know if the saw needed to be tuned or was on it's last legs anyway.

The photo quality is poor, I know. After pulling the muffler I didn't even bother checking compression.
Yep, that's not good....what does the intake side of the cylinder look like? Buying from solid members here and other power equipment forum is the only way to go when buying a used saw.

If I were in your situation, send it to a saw builder who will get it going and have it ported also. You will have one awesome little saw and it will be worth what you'll have in it....just never sale it. I have a Stihl ms440 I'll never sale because I have wayyyyy too much in it.

Latest posts

Back