the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having tea tonight, and suddenly there was a loud chicken squawk and carry on outside the kitchen window, I looked at the girls and realised nobody had closed the chicken coop.
Put outside light on straight away, and ran outside to see a bloody cat heading off towards one of the sheds, I ran back inside, got a torch, and followed it into the shed, and then it took off over the road and hid in the bush, its green eyes mocking me.
Back outside the house, there were feathers everywhere, oh bugga!
Got a better torch and a high powered de cat device, and we spent some time trying to find the cat in the bush to no avail, nor was there any sign of the chook.
Lots of feathers, but no blood.
Took a while to get a story from the girls that there was one chook in the pen, and it had not been out at the time of the noise.......hmmm
Blood in the roosting box, and cat prints, but no blood where the feathers were, and lots of noise and a cat de assing the area empty handed.

Its cold outside, and after another look around the house by the girls and me checking the shed, we came back inside having found nothing.
Things just didnt add up.
I decided to head back out for another look, and when going back to the first shed, there was the damn cat laying in a hole it had made in one of our bags of insulation we have yet to use.
trying to hold torch, and being so close the scope was so blurry I could just make out one of the eyes, had to aim off an inch above too.
So no more cat, now what happened to the chook.

Went back inside and my eldest came back out and we began a new search, going thru the places where we saw the cat, but it was low, and not dragging anything, if it had a chook in its mouth, it would have been walking differently, so where would a chook go if it had the chance to run ? We had already gone around the wood pile and fuel shed, but did another round just in case. Nothing to find.

We began a new systematic search, and focused out the front of the house, whilst she was checking around one of the water tanks where they love to scratch around, I found the chook nestled up in some bushes by the vegy patch, took a bit to get her, and she was quite bloodied from the ordeal, but had quite a bit of pluck left............yeah had to say it but had lost quite a few tummy feathers.

Great rejoicing back in the kitchen as the news was shared of the found chook, and it looks like if she makes it thru the night, she should have a few more days of laying ahead of her.

so much for an early night, but its been a while since I got a cat. :)

Daughter took the photo in the dark, so did pretty well considering.

chookcat.jpg

Having tea tonight, and suddenly there was a loud chicken squawk and carry on outside the kitchen window, I looked at the girls and realised nobody had closed the chicken coop.
Put outside light on straight away, and ran outside to see a bloody cat heading off towards one of the sheds, I ran back inside, got a torch, and followed it into the shed, and then it took off over the road and hid in the bush, its green eyes mocking me.
Got a better torch and a high powered de cat device, and we spent some time trying to find the cat in the bush to no avail, nor was there any sign of the chook.
Took a while to get a story from the girls that there was one chook in the pen, and it had not been out at the time of the noise.......hmmm
Blood in the roosting box, and cat prints, but no blood where the feathers were, and lots of noise and a cat de assing the area empty handed.

Its cold outside, and after another look around the house by the girls and me checking the shed, we came back inside having found nothing.
I decided to head back out for another look, and when going back to the first shed, there was the damn cat laying in a hole it had made in one of our bags of insulation we have yet to use.
trying to hold torch, and being so close the scope was so blurry I could just make out one of the eyes, had to aim off an inch above too.

Went back inside and my eldest came back out and we began a new search, going thru the places where we saw the cat, but it was low, and not dragging anything, if it had a chook in its mouth, it would have been walking differently, so where would a chook go if it had the chance to run ? We had already gone around the wood pile and fuel shed, but did another round just in case. Nothing to find.

We began a new systematic search, and focused out the front of the house, whilst she was checking around one of the water tanks where they love to scratch around, I found the chook nestled up in some bushes by the vegy patch, took a bit to get her, and she was quite bloodied from the ordeal, but had quite a bit of pluck left............yeah had to say it but had lost quite a few tummy feathers.

Great rejoicing back in the kitchen as the news was shared of the found chook, and it looks like if she makes it thru the night, she should have a few more days of laying ahead of her.

you got a big cat problem i trap alot of cats as well set up a posom trap with the cheep as wollies sardeans. befor you pop the sardeans up the back of the cage cover it with old towel put all the juce out of the can flicked on it and around it then pop the sardeams up the back of the trap you will need a few cans by the way one ever time you reset the trap. you will get loads of cats.
20190407_135654.jpg

Yeah, have been using bits of raw bacon to good effect, will get some tins next time I head into town, good idea, I think this is the cat that tipped the trap over and got out when I had moved the trap, and not thought to put a weight on the top as I wasnt expecting it to catch the cat, and had the trap up on other things in the shed out the way, my mistake, cats climb, nose around, sprung the trap, then went bananas and the trap fell, and it got out.
Only make that mistake once.
Chicken made it thru the night, was happy to be let out of its roost, but is pretty sore and sorry for itself.

Yeah, have been using bits of raw bacon to good effect, will get some tins next time I head into town, good idea, I think this is the cat that tipped the trap over and got out when I had moved the trap, and not thought to put a weight on the top as I wasnt expecting it to catch the cat, and had the trap up on other things in the shed out the way, my mistake, cats climb, nose around, sprung the trap, then went bananas and the trap fell, and it got out.
Only make that mistake once.
Chicken made it thru the night, was happy to be let out of its roost, but is pretty sore and sorry for itself.
i have one screwed down
20190414_064449.jpg

Daughter took the photo in the dark, so did pretty well considering.

View attachment 743160

aaaw that dead one looks like my dear kitten tortise shell Gypsy,,, not to mind ***** goes feral it gets the lead

53306925_2139336416103332_9006513893924667392_n.jpg

This was feral, but if Mr Fluffytinkles is let out to roam at night and cause mischief and mayhem, its fair game and taking a dirt nap.
Went out last night late, heard a fox yapping nearby, got wifey to hold the light, but by the time we got out there, and shone the damn thing up, it took off.
Kangaroos were a bit miffed to be spotted up too when we swept the light, but they went back to nibbling the weeds quite unperturbed.

edited to add.

I think I will suggest to the girls that we rename "Maria" the chook to "Pirate Maria"

chookeye1.jpg chookeye2.jpg

This was feral, but if Mr Fluffytinkles is let out to roam at night and cause mischief and mayhem, its fair game and taking a dirt nap.
Went out last night late, heard a fox yapping nearby, got wifey to hold the light, but by the time we got out there, and shone the damn thing up, it took off.
Kangaroos were a bit miffed to be spotted up too when we swept the light, but they went back to nibbling the weeds quite unperturbed.

edited to add.

I think I will suggest to the girls that we rename "Maria" the chook to "Pirate Maria"

View attachment 743554 View attachment 743555

Pull the eye lide open and flush with warm salty water. If its infected with chooks it gos righ to the brain she will seem fine the just die.

wrapped up chook in a towel, and armed with cotton buds, syringe, and warm salt water, I opened the eye, cleaned out a reasonable amount of pus, runny, and some hard, could see her eye further in and it looked ok.
Cleaned the wound below her eye, chin area, no pus from there, cleaned away the dried blood, and let her go, will repeat that on saturday and see how we go.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

Back