Do y’all run a top handle one handed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 200T one-handed more than two-handed. I don't need to climb a lot, but when I do that saw goes with me. Usually I need my other hand to grab and toss limbs unless I rig them down. And up in the tree I sometimes need my other hand on my rope or a limb to steady my position while leaning out to cut. I also use the top-handle for trimming limbs that other people have cut (I run a community chipping service on the side) where they won't feed into the chipper due to crotches & such.

Since I am my own company, and I almost never have the help running my saws, I don't worry about OSHA or anyone else. I am a very careful operator--have never been touched by a running saw chain in almost fifty years of cutting trees. If I had anything less than a laser focus when operating a saw, I'd go with the two-hand rule. My rule with top-handle or anything else in saw use is to know before you cut how the saw and the wood both will react--never poke the bar blindly into a pile of slash, etc. If there's any possibility for surprise, I'll use two hands.

With the OP, the ladder concerns me more than one or two hands on the saw. But a ladder like anything else can come into play if you are super aware of its liabilities.

With everything in the saw world we all have our own ways of doing things--no two people will operate the same way.

Two hands on a saw control a kick back much better than one. Working off a ladder one handing a top handle is an accident waiting to happen. A handsaw is a better tool to use.

One handing a top handle is permissible in some circumstances . I am talking tree climbers not people working off a ladder. Most of this applies to being out on a limb , your climbing line is maxed for positioning and your positioning lanyard is in place for safety and you have good three point contact for stability. Now read carefully, leaning out with the arm straight ,not bent and the direction of the cut is moving in the direction away from the body then it is safe and permissible to one hand a top handle . The straight stiff arm will control a kick back if it occurs better than a bend in the elbow This technique is employed more in the trimming aspect of tree work but does apply to a removal . The majority of cuts can be done with two hands on the saw for good saw control.

Top handles are better suited for bucket truck work if your going to one hand a saw cutting a tree. You can get cut just as easily one handing a saw either from a bucket truck or climbing a tree.

I am retired but I used a top handle in the beginning but switched later on to a small rear handle like an 021 ,025 but as soon as those rear handled MS 200's came out I didn't blink at getting one. The compact design of a top handle is nice for climbing but a small rear handle is better in my opinion because you have better control of the saw and leverage when making cuts especially when blocking down a spar. It is a little more bulk to haul around a tree but you get used to it and it keeps a climber from one handing a saw.

You could argue this point till the sun goes down but I just thought I would contribute to this thread in the hopes that just maybe I could help someone from getting bit bad by a saw . Like all seasoned tree guys I carry around a few scars from accidents using a chainsaw. One of those scars is from one handing a saw the wrong way and cut my wrist and a tendon . I was lucky and was able to fully recover some guys are not as lucky.

I one hand my Homelite xl often. It's a laid-back take your time and enjoy yourself kind of saw. I that saw is literally cooler than the law allows so unfortunately I can't use it at work.

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk
I also one hand my eager beaver.
64500f25f47c3c2ff1b57f35353b0921.jpg

I one hand my Homelite xl often. It's a laid-back take your time and enjoy yourself kind of saw. I that saw is literally cooler than the law allows so unfortunately I can't use it at work.

I also one hand my eager beaver.
64500f25f47c3c2ff1b57f35353b0921.jpg
I don't mind if I see someone running a saw with one hand if they're doing a good job of it. Any monkey biz worse than one handing around me with a chainsaw and I won't even have to say anything. You'll know you're acting a fool by the way I'm looking at you.

Two hands on a saw control a kick back much better than one. Working off a ladder one handing a top handle is an accident waiting to happen. A handsaw is a better tool to use.

One handing a top handle is permissible in some circumstances . I am talking tree climbers not people working off a ladder. Most of this applies to being out on a limb , your climbing line is maxed for positioning and your positioning lanyard is in place for safety and you have good three point contact for stability. Now read carefully, leaning out with the arm straight ,not bent and the direction of the cut is moving in the direction away from the body then it is safe and permissible to one hand a top handle . The straight stiff arm will control a kick back if it occurs better than a bend in the elbow This technique is employed more in the trimming aspect of tree work but does apply to a removal . The majority of cuts can be done with two hands on the saw for good saw control.

Top handles are better suited for bucket truck work if your going to one hand a saw cutting a tree. You can get cut just as easily one handing a saw either from a bucket truck or climbing a tree.

I am retired but I used a top handle in the beginning but switched later on to a small rear handle like an 021 ,025 but as soon as those rear handled MS 200's came out I didn't blink at getting one. The compact design of a top handle is nice for climbing but a small rear handle is better in my opinion because you have better control of the saw and leverage when making cuts especially when blocking down a spar. It is a little more bulk to haul around a tree but you get used to it and it keeps a climber from one handing a saw.

You could argue this point till the sun goes down but I just thought I would contribute to this thread in the hopes that just maybe I could help someone from getting bit bad by a saw . Like all seasoned tree guys I carry around a few scars from accidents using a chainsaw. One of those scars is from one handing a saw the wrong way and cut my wrist and a tendon . I was lucky and was able to fully recover some guys are not as lucky.
Sorry to hear that. I watched a greenhorn cut his index finger off one handing a 201t. I blame that on his trainer. If I'm teaching you how to cut wood, you will start on the ground with a beginner friendly chainsaw, making beginner friendly cuts.

Ever see someone on the ground with a top handle hold a limb on a downed tree and then cut the limb with one hand . Then they take that same limb and hold it in the air and cut into a few pieces while one handing a running a top handle . I have seen this many times done by homeowners. Scary to watch. One of the guys that worked for me tried that stunt once . I told him flat out if I ever seen him do that again he was gone. I also told him that those top handles are for climbing or working in the bucket truck not to be used doing ground work ( I'm anal when it comes that) . Two hands on a saw for ground work for his own safety. He never did it again after I pointed out what might happen and never used another top handle of mine.

One handing a top handle is permissible in some circumstances . .....
Not in the ANSI Z 133. I understand not everybody is interested in the safety standards...but just chiming in that the latest version does not permit one-handing.

No face scars or chain saw injuries in over 30 years of occasional one handed sawing. I use two hands when practicable.

In the photo a 12kv power line prevents larger pieces from being taken.
That is a hand saw cut for me when I have to be extended like that. Won't take a few seconds longer with a Sugoi. Go back to what i said early in this thread: I've decided that there is always another way - and I have yet to find a time when there is not.

Ever see someone on the ground with a top handle hold a limb on a downed tree and then cut the limb with one hand . Then they take that same limb and hold it in the air and cut into a few pieces while one handing a running a top handle . I have seen this many times done by homeowners. Scary to watch. One of the guys that worked for me tried that stunt once . I told him flat out if I ever seen him do that again he was gone. I also told him that those top handles are for climbing or working in the bucket truck not to be used doing ground work ( I'm anal when it comes that) . Two hands on a saw for ground work for his own safety. He never did it again after I pointed out what might happen and never used another top handle of mine.
Yes i have seen it.

A guy I know who has his very own struggling tree business does this routinely. I used to go work for him occasionally but stopped because I figured I'd eventually see him seriously injured. One handing a 200t on the ground holding the wood with his other hand is only one of many majorly stupid things he does.

If you're still learning the basics of cutting wood on my crew, they're not going to let you make your own decisions with a chainsaw. You'll be instructed by me, Stihldragon, which saw to use, how to use it, where, and when. On the tree service crew I work on, there's always someone who is there to learn. They need some help staying out of harms way. They also need to be told about overconfidence with a chainsaw. It's not a race to the finish line it's getting there safely. I make big high pressure cuts one handing a top handle saw from time to time but I'm very careful and I take my time with the patience of jobe

I got lucky when I started cutting trees, I was trained by a phenomenal tree climber who is famous for zip lining tonnage, one handing a top handle while dangling from the lifeline.

If you're still learning the basics of cutting wood on my crew, they're not going to let you make your own decisions with a chainsaw. You'll be instructed by me, Stihldragon, which saw to use, how to use it, where, and when. On the tree service crew I work on, there's always someone who is there to learn. They need some help staying out of harms way. They also need to be told about overconfidence with a chainsaw. It's not a race to the finish line it's getting there safely. I make big high pressure cuts one handing a top handle saw from time to time but I'm very careful and I take my time with the patience of jobe

Same here.

Back