461 or 462 cm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayard

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
the shop near by has the 461 for 1120$ and the 462 cm for 1150$ most of my saws are older ones. what say you?

i have a 461 very happy with it and no mtronic i can rebuild myself if the need arises but for 30$ difference 462 is nice saw

I wouldn't consider them both to be in the same ballpark. 461 has rubber buffers, 462 has springs. 462 is a strato saw and burns less fuel compared to a 461. 462 has air injection and keeps the filter clean longer, 461 doesn't.

462 is about 1.5 lbs lighter with the same 6hp output as the 461.

The 462 is basically a husky. The 461 is Stihl older style.

Lighter weight Husky with less torque and cheaper feeling plastics. :yes::innocent: Time will tell.
What I always liked about Huskys is how rev happy they are, and the AV. So I liked it. It was a little strange having something that smooth that handled like a much smaller saw pulling 28" full comp like it did.

If you can rebuild a 461 then you can rebuild a 462.

Not really. It's a standard ported saw with long transfer ducts. It does not have fresh air ducts.

These are from a tree monkey thread of the 462. I've not seen a cylinder off in person.

DSC01475.JPG DSC01472.JPG

I see lower transfers on exhaust side, 2 sets of upper transfers and then 2 extra ports. Are these not stratos, ms261c style? I'm asking out of ignorance, not sarcasm.

Alot of that depends on dealer support. My local husky dealer hooks mine up and checks for issues and updates for free. It rebuilds and pressure tests like a normal saw.

Well, since you didn’t answer my question, I’m going to say the 462 is probably a really good saw for 20-28” bars. The 461 is what I own, along with an 046 & 441. All three of those are better balanced with a longer bar and pull them better. Right now I don’t have a saw set up for anything shorter than a 28.

I’ve attached a photo of my 461 when it was brand new sitting on my gang box:

Attachments

• 82A09AFA-2B1D-47FA-9D06-66CF242EFBE0.jpeg
    82A09AFA-2B1D-47FA-9D06-66CF242EFBE0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Hey catbuster have you ever ran a 462 before?

Yes, I have. More than one, thought about buying some to replace 440s. When I was running a demo unit I was plainly unimpressed. Still don’t much care for the balance with longer bars, the way the AV is mounted, the side cover, or the top cover. I could probably get down with it better if it balanced better with the bar lengths I run. But the older models do better with what I ask them to do. It is worth noting I haven’t used one with a wrap handlebar, which is supposed to have stiffer springs, I believe. That may help some with the longer bars and the added weight with the side cover & extra handlebar might help. I do like the captive bar nuts, though.

I did like the 462 with a 25. It was fast, balanced pretty well and worked well. Not as easy to live with as an 044, 441, 046 or 461, in my honest opinion, but for that task it probably works well.

If you were offended by me giving my experience, just put me on ignore. I use my **** for a living. I know what I like. I’m not brand biased, and buy a fair bit of gear. Had I not used a unit, I would not be qualified to speak on the subject, and I would have withheld judgement. It would be like me talking about your boots. I have no idea what you use or how they work, so I withdraw judgement and comment.

25 inch bar most times. i do have longer bars when needed.much less weight is a good thing.thanks for the info.

I wasnt offended to each there own. My response was because you never stated you ran one. I'm oddly surprised you didnt like the balance unless you were running a regular weight es bar instead of the proper es light bars

I wasnt offended to each there own. My response was because you never stated you ran one. I'm oddly surprised you didnt like the balance unless you were running a regular weight es bar instead of the proper es light bars

I have a few light bars, I generally find the 28 balances well on my 441 with no wrap or big side cover. I like the 32 on the 046/461. I like my balance a little back towards the power head, it’s easier to push down than pull up all day.

The company saws? They get regular ES bars. Those saws get a little more abused than mine. I usually take a regular ES bar on wildland deployments. Those bars are stiffer, and less likely to get bent when I’m tens of miles from my truck where the extra bars are.

If you don’t mind explaining, what makes an ES Light “proper?” The ES bars were all we had for years. They worked just fine, and still work fine today.

Latest posts

Back