Anyone light the stove in the summer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Between the stink bugs in the chimney every fall when I clean it and the bees nest up in the chimney cap, I light a fire or 2 every summer. I opened the door to light one tonight, because of the bees nest in the cap, and there was one of those giant hornets flying in the stove. As much as I hate the cold the fire looked great.

giphy.gif

I do not, but fires are a frequent occurance around our home during the warmer months, though not indoors. Funny, you said that you dislike the cold, but I welcome it! I hate warm weather, too hot, sweat too much - it sucks! Freezing temperatures are best, mucho comfortable!

We lit up the fire pit last night. I like to burn stuff and enjoy fire. This far into summer we have had cold rainy weather. I still put on a sweat shirt every morning to go to work. Yea it's nice to work in 50 degree weather but I like summer when I'm not working and so do the kids lol. Anyways I light the stove to keep up on chimney maintenance and keep the bugs out of it. Nothing like getting a bucket full of black bees and stink bugs in the fall when cleaning the chimney.

I don't but have an OWB.

The whole thing is covered in spider webs now and 2 very beautiful blue birds lying dead on the inside......must of flew down the chimney.

Oh, love cutting wood but hate the cold, go figure.

I lit my stove in the summer a while ago for the same reason,,, big yellow jacket looking hornets buzzing around in the stove pipe... that fixed em quick!!!!

I put some trash and a few sticks in yesterday morning. Took the damp chill out of the house. Doubt we hit 70 outside until late afternoon.

Most of the fires we burn during the summer are in the burn barrels, or on the scant occasion a cool night and then we burn in the firepit. I don't cap our chimney, and I've scooped out some suck bugs from the trap before but I'd rather that than alter the cool 74° we keep inside our home. I hate the summer! Too much to do and and am forced to sweat and be miserable outside to work. Much prefer a flannel shirt in 20° sunny weather.

I love the outdoors, but I'll take a mild, cool day over a sunny summer day any day. I wish I didn't sweat so much. My wife, will throw blanket over her at night while we sleep, and I'll get hot with just a sheet over me!

We burn outside fires to keep the skeeters away. We do have to back off and not sit anywhere close to it but a fire at night is just nice to look at.

are main wood stove is right beside the front door.so all the junk mail goes in when it gets a lot we fire it up. mail is not enough to heat it much.

That's what I'm talking about "lighting a fire" not starting the stove lol a nice paper card board fire seems to get rid of the bees and bugs and not heat the house. Seems like proper chimney maintenance. Keep the summer wood burning outside.

Not a stove, but I've been burning the indoor boiler every couple weeks or so, so far, for DHW. Haven't done that for a few years, but the new mini-splits have reduced my winter/shoulder wood use more than expected so don't want my stockpile to rot before it gets burned. Catch-22's all over the place here...

Back