Fiskars Axe is junk!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one the left is called the pro splitter, I THINK. Its only around 4 lbs. I thought the X25 & X27 share the same head just one has longer handle. :msp_confused:

I'm pretty certain the one on the left is the 2.5 lb. "Pro Splitter". It's a great little splitter even though it was overshadowed by the heavier "Super Splitter". As of 3 weeks ago Amazon was still selling the Pro Splitter even though it's been out of production for some time. I snatched up one as a gift and another as backup. You are correct about the X25 and X27 sharing the same head.

Bottom line is if you had to choose one hand splitting tool the Fiskars ss is the best all around, hands down no contest. There really shouldn't be much of a learning curve as the tool is one of the most ergonomically correct tool I've ever picked up. Yeah, it was love at first swing.

fiskars is all technique

loved my shorter, original splitting ax so much, I could hardly wait to pick up the 36" version. Had it delivered to my doorstep for a total of 49.99 via amazon.com. Will be breaking it in tomorrow morning even though I may be picking up a I & O 22 ton FC in the afternoon. I feel the Fiskars is perfectly designed, yet was rather unsure at first- as many where with the shorter original length.

Not sure it is worthy of all the hype, but I do think it is one of the best I have used. I just prefer a hydraulic splitter- less body stress to me. I have seen a couple of these broken, not sure how they broke, curious if others have seen this. Possibly from pounding with the backside on a wedge, post, etc ??

Not sure it is worthy of all the hype, but I do think it is one of the best I have used. I just prefer a hydraulic splitter- less body stress to me. I have seen a couple of these broken, not sure how they broke, curious if others have seen this. Possibly from pounding with the backside on a wedge, post, etc ??

Broken? I can't imagine someone breaking one without abusing it severely, using it in some way it is not intended for.

It's not a sledge hammer, so ya, pounding with the head is not a good idea, neither is pounding on the head with something else. Using is as a pry bar..not good. Competition throwing axe..no, it isn't for that either. And etc.

If someone is just standing there swinging it into wood, like it was designed for, as a splitting axe, not a maul, I want to see the vid of it breaking. I'll pay a buck in an envelope mailed to see that. Ya, a buck ain't much, but I pay zero other than my internet connection to see other vids of guys using saws and axes and splitters, etc, so in that sense it would be that interesting to me.

Broken? I can't imagine someone breaking one without abusing it severely, using it in some way it is not intended for.

It's not a sledge hammer, so ya, pounding with the head is not a good idea, neither is pounding on the head with something else. Using is as a pry bar..not good. Competition throwing axe..no, it isn't for that either. And etc.

If someone is just standing there swinging it into wood, like it was designed for, as a splitting axe, not a maul, I want to see the vid of it breaking. I'll pay a buck in an envelope mailed to see that. Ya, a buck ain't much, but I pay zero other than my internet connection to see other vids of guys using saws and axes and splitters, etc, so in that sense it would be that interesting to me.

One of the fiskars is sitting at the dealer awaiting replay from fiskars. I have no clue how it broke and do not know the owner, but I will take a photo today if it is still there. I don't own one. I will check what my neighbor did with the other broken one- he found it in the trash and thought maybe he could get a free replacement.

No need to pay me a buck. I was curious too, but thought maybe this happened regular so gave it little thought until this thread.

One of the fiskars is sitting at the dealer awaiting replay from fiskars. I have no clue how it broke and do not know the owner, but I will take a photo today if it is still there. I don't own one. I will check what my neighbor did with the other broken one- he found it in the trash and thought maybe he could get a free replacement.

No need to pay me a buck. I was curious too, but thought maybe this happened regular so gave it little thought until this thread.

Well, that's cool ya. I'd sure like to hear the story of how they got broken. Of course, no way to know if the story told to the dealer is real either. I mean, these babies are built pretty dang strong. Fiskars is confident enough to give it a lifetime warranty. Mine shows some wear from use, but it is still pretty darn new looking after ..no idea..thousands of hits with it.

And..seeing as how it is so muddy out I can't go anywhere with the tractor without leaving one to two foot deep ruts, I just might go out and whack some at the pile this afternoon, sport splitting!

Dec 31st, got dandelions in the yard and the aulde laydees daffy dills are peaking out.

Which tells me feb and march gonna be nasty. Moms nature don't give out no free lunches. And if the sap runs too early, it is gonna hurt trees bad.

picture

I have a picture of the one sitting at the dealer broken- I will post it after I eat. It is broken on the backside and my guess would be it broke pounding on something, but I really have no clue.

attachment.php

I bought one and I like it. I mainly split red oak and it works quite well for that. I havent seen the OP reply here again. I think he should give it another try before he says they are junk. Did he grab a maul and split his 20" green maple with ease? Why does he say it is junk? Did it not split the wood? Why is he so "pissed"? I am 6'1" and about 255lb and I thought the axe hits pretty hard, knocks chunks off red oak rounds with ease.

I bought one and I like it. I mainly split red oak and it works quite well for that. I havent seen the OP reply here again. I think he should give it another try before he says they are junk. Did he grab a maul and split his 20" green maple with ease? Why does he say it is junk? Did it not split the wood? Why is he so "pissed"? I am 6'1" and about 255lb and I thought the axe hits pretty hard, knocks chunks off red oak rounds with ease.

The OP sounded mch like sour grapes because he expected it to be a miracle weapon that wouild split everything including stuff that would be a problem using wedge/sledge.

Harry K

What are you guys splitting with this axe, balsa wood? I got the 36in s.s. and gave a 20in green maple round a try. What a joke, the axe is junk as far as i am concerned, the thing has no weight at all to it to get any power on the downswing. really pissed just wasted my time and money, hope home depot takes it back. I am 6' 2" 195 by the way.

My impression is that the core principle behind the Fiskars splitting axes is energy. The kinetic energy ('power', 'force', are common terms) is 1/2 x mass x velocity^2. This means if you double the mass you double the impact. But if you double the speed you increase the impact by a factor of 2^2 = 4.

So let's say you take your big ol' maul and grind away half the mass. The impact would be half as much. But, with half the mass you can now get the maul to travel twice as fast. If you had the original maul going at twice the speed it would have 4 times the impact. Combined, the effect of half the mass (1/2 x) and twice the speed (2^2 = 4x) you get 1/2 x 4 = 2 times the impact. So I assume Fiskars played around with the mass and the speed to determine the point of diminishing returns (at some point you can only swing an ax just so fast) to determine how light to make the head and get the most return in terms of kinetic energy (and impact).

In addition the shape of the head sides (straight) is different then 'most' mauls (often curved) which may be a factor.

But increased speed is the 'secret sauce'.
And you don't wear yourself out by wrestling a big ol' maul.

My impression is that the core principle behind the Fiskars splitting axes is energy. The kinetic energy ('power', 'force', are common terms) is 1/2 x mass x velocity^2. This means if you double the mass you double the impact. But if you double the speed you increase the impact by a factor of 2^2 = 4.
Welcome to A.S David!

If it had not been so long since I took my last Physics class, I might add a few more things in there. But the key thing in my mind is that Fiskars concentrates the mass at the end of a lightweight handle, where it does the work. So they created a lightweight tool that is as effective as a much heaver tool, which makes it easier on the user. If they put that same head on the end of a conventional hickory handle, I don't think that we would be talking about it!

Philbert

I've been through that thread too, all are too much squabbling for my tastes as I don't even own one, so there's no dog in the fight for me. It's about as entertaining as the arguments between Ford and Chevy owners. I'm only here to jest, ha ha

What are you guys splitting with this axe, balsa wood? I got the 36in s.s. and gave a 20in green maple round a try. What a joke, the axe is junk as far as i am concerned, the thing has no weight at all to it to get any power on the downswing. really pissed just wasted my time and money, hope home depot takes it back. I am 6' 2" 195 by the way.
I just hated the handle when I picked it up. No go.

Back