Rebuilding stihl ms361 top end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRudy

CRudy
Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked up a saw from my work that was diagnosed as 'blown up'. Got it home and took it apart and the piston and cylinder was scarred up pretty bad. However everything else down in the bottom of the engine looks fine. I was thinking of ordering an aftermarket cylinder and piston kit from Hyway small engine. I'm not 100% sure on how the saw got scarred up, it looks like something got into the cylinder scraped it while it was running, plus some of my co workers are pretty rough on a saw which probably helped with the wear and tear. I was just looking for some opinions from some people with experience on if its worth the trouble and if there is anything else I might should take a look at while ive got it apart. Thanks!

I'd split the case and run all the parts through the dishwasher. New crank bearing and seals, clean up the cylinder, new piston/rings and give all the rubber a thorough exam.

You have melted aluminum on the cylinder walls. I see 1 place below the left side of the exhaust port that may/may not clean up. If the scratch is below the nikisil plating, the cylinder is pretty much done. Your piston is trash and should be replaced w/ an OEM or Meteor if you want to save a few bucks. Do a search for cleaning a cylinder with acid or mechanically with a Dremel tool. You also need to determine why the saw was run lean and overheated.

The big end rod bearing got extremely hot.
89691dea9930995d09882fc67e94755d.jpg

Enuf to turn the steel blue.[emoji15]

IIWM (if it were me) I'd put in a replacement crank assembly, new or used.

The big end rod bearing got extremely hot.
89691dea9930995d09882fc67e94755d.jpg

Enuf to turn the steel blue.[emoji15]

IIWM (if it were me) I'd put in a replacement crank assembly, new or used.
I have to agree. Bearings and seals are probably shot also. Look at how far out of alignment it all is. Let's hope that is all that is wrong besides the rest of the top end. I can't even imagine what caused all of this. Frankly, it gives me the creeps.

Ok I wasnt sure if that coloring on that rod was normal or not lol. Do yall have a ballpark idea of how much a crank case splitter is and crank seals, or a good website I could look at ordering them from? Thanks for the replies

There are guys around that split cases with homemade tools, but I think the most successful ones are the "c" shaped splitters you see on fleabay for about 80 bucks. You may be able to find a case and crank assembly (used) for a resonable price as an alternative. I am against aftermarket cranks and cases but some people have success with em and some don't.

I have some 361 engine parts. Have a good piston for sure. Probably a cylinder as well. Used OEM.

i put nwp big bore 49mm kits on / the last one i ordered caber rings / aftermarket works fine for firewood /

If the thing really needs a new crank, rod, and bearings, then it is not worth fixing from a monetary perspective. If you want a fun project though, then go at it.

I have heard that bluing on the rod is normal from the heat treating process. Never got anything definitive on that though. I do know that when a 2 cycle is run lean, exponentially more damage is done to the top end from loss of lubrication and heat than to the bottom end.

If your not gonna rebuild it let me know...im unemployed right now and could use a project saw...looking for an old 036 or 360..to do it on..

If I couldn't figure a way to put OEM parts back on it and stay inside value, I'd go aftermarket like Meteor or Hyway in a flat second. Nothing at all wrong with doing that as long as you vac test it and go through the carb before running.

I think i’d probly replace the crank..i’d be afraid the bearing in the crank under the connecting rod was damaged

Latest posts

Back