Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i feel dead....half a tank through the ickle saw and shifting some buked rounds from 1 and 1/2 tanks yesterday (so that's 500ml, or about a pint total, small saws don't drink much) ...what a hero eh? a hero....with an absolute stinker of a cold. i speak and alternate between Barry White and Mickey mouse sounds. Anyway, I hurt in many many places....most places....places i didn't know about....what a hero eh! :laughing::eek: Well... the pile grew by a good amount of no split wood, and i have a good sized pile of bucked rounds to split. and i had fun running a saw so F*** the cold! :p

i feel dead....half a tank through the ickle saw and shifting some buked rounds from 1 and 1/2 tanks yesterday (so that's 500ml, or about a pint total, small saws don't drink much) ...what a hero eh? a hero....with an absolute stinker of a cold. i speak and alternate between Barry White and Mickey mouse sounds. Anyway, I hurt in many many places....most places....places i didn't know about....what a hero eh! :laughing::eek: Well... the pile grew by a good amount of no split wood, and i have a good sized pile of bucked rounds to split. and i had fun running a saw so F*** the cold! :p
I'll prescribe some Tanqueray gin followed by a couple of pints of Wychwood Hobgoblin for that cold Neil. And have work on speed dial for a sick day.:cheers:
$

Was it yellow inside? :innocent:
20190623_190115.jpg Nope locust. I looked at the piece of bark I sat on it to get the pic and see my mistake. There are big cherry,mulberry, and ash close by. That reading is at the middle of a section of the trunk. Split it and couldn't get a reading over 16%.20190623_181731.jpg How many of these dead ash trees you think we could turn into firewood in 5 days lol. There whole driveway is a kill zone in my opinion and they dont even realize.

Finally finished my trailer project. I can't wait to start chucking firewood in it!
b60179f5e683fb7065796eaa0a2a8676.jpg
4fb24c208ab31f73b11a5f11659515a8.jpg
6c1896a81a676860232fc4c09063fdca.jpg
cc34c705c3aaa48500ad2ba58e0ba56e.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Very nice...

I found I couldn't use a trailer that big because I'm cutting in folk's backyards. My 18 footer just sits...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Few more pictures from today.20190623_172429.jpg there closeingon this property in 10 days. I was told anything on the ground is fair game if I can get it out in that time.20190623_180229.jpg Thought I was done after this.20190623_183746.jpg Then I found a good sized ash top and decided it need to come home to. This may be the last time the old dodge sees wood hauling duty.

Very nice...

I found I couldn't use a trailer that big because I'm cutting in folk's backyards. My 18 footer just sits...

This one is 5x13. Yeah a trailer is a pain to get into most back yards

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Given how useful they are, how do you guys avoid collecting trailers like chainsaws?
The latest one to pique my interest is this firewood trailer that holds about a cord.

I'm told the high COG isn't as bad to tow as it looks like it would be. Great to dump a load without needing winch, hydraulics, etc, and a PITA to load it by hand, but as usual, I'm thinking of ways it could be done better.
trailer.jpg

Given how useful they are, how do you guys avoid collecting trailers like chainsaws?
The latest one to pique my interest is this firewood trailer that holds about a cord.

I'm told the high COG isn't as bad to tow as it looks like it would be. Great to dump a load without needing winch, hydraulics, etc, and a PITA to load it by hand, but as usual, I'm thinking of ways it could be done better.
View attachment 743032
Who says we don't...;)

I have five over-the-road myself!

I settled on my 5x8 for firewood...home-built, dual axle, 245x75r16 truck tires. Even loaded heavy, it might have 1500 to 2000 pounds per tire, that's less than the 2500 towing it.

@James Miller

Dang brother,

You will LOVE the payload of that thing. Make some nice sturdy bedside extension up to cab hight and you will be a happy camper man.

I want to make some for mine. I got a 3500 8 foot bed and a full bed is still not all it can take. I need taller sides too.

That shorter bed you could stack to the top of the cab i bet.

Just check the load index number on the tires. Not the “letter”. But the number. Like mine are 129P E... they can hold 4080 lbs on each tire.

Have fun with the new truck!! And use a diesel additive with these new super dry diesel fuels.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I have over 20 trailers at last count. And that isn't enough. I likely have 10 that I haven't used in years though. She was threatening me again today with having an auction while I'm working up north. I'm not really against it as it means that I could start over collecting. She runs a lawn cutting business and does house cleaning for a few of her better customers so she is run off her feet this time of year. We also do some volunteer work at our local cemetery and a park so that eats time up too. There is just never enough hours in the day this time of year. My processor is sitting idle, my sawmill is still idle, I did put couple 100 kms on my bike last weekend but the rest of the time has been working at work, work at her customers and working at home. Firewooding has to take a back seat this time of year. It's so bad that I only went to one auction last week and this week it'll only be an online one. Have an eye on a wood chipper that I have to have. I did cut this poplar down at a client lot two weeks ago though and I had a junk fire at home. 20190612_163647.jpg 20190614_205740.jpg

I have over 20 trailers at last count.
Firstly, that's just showing off. :)
Secondly, as the resident auction guru, can you please keep your eyes peeled for a great condition Woodmaster Tools 12 or 18" planer/molder? Preferably with as many bells and whistles as possible. I'm trying to find a cheap but reliable way to add value to the lumber I mill by machining profiles like decking and T&G myself. Might even load it all on a trailer and offer a mobile machining service. I like the way the Woodmaster machines can be configured for gang rip sawing, molding, standard thickness planing, even sanding. I also like their super dooper option of the ability to attach two routers for edging (when trying to do things like T&G). They have a sale on right now which is quite dangerous but I doubt I am going to get my $ together before the sale ends. I'd probably end up with about three different heads and just swap them out for whatever the job demands.

Any help tracking a good one down would be much appreciated. A 4-sider would be great but not only can't I afford one, I have my doubts about how well it will handle being set up on a trailer and carted to jobs. I don't mind spending more time making multiple passes through the machine if the end result is good.

The latest one to pique my interest is this firewood trailer that holds about a cord. . . . a PITA to load it by hand, but as usual, I'm thinking of ways it could be done better.
Plant a seedling in the bed.

Wait abut 20 years.

Self-loading!

Philbert

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
I find the day the a nearby lake association, with big wooded lots, has their brush pickup days and there's usually larger pieces to be found. I also go the dump, where people dump off their brush and find plenty to cut. Last year, I found a guy near me on Craigslist just looking to get rid of wood. I helped him out, paid him with some beer, and got about 2.5 full cords out of it. I burn about 5 full in a winter; so that was a good day.

Back