Options for a cheap, lightweight, (vintage?) backup/trim saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still looking/thinking:

* What’s a good price on a used Echo CS-400? There’s one listed nearby for $165. The aforementioned special on a new Ms170 @$159 makes that number hard to swallow, but it is certainly a bit more saw.

* Listed prices on Super EZ’s seem to be all over the place. Hard to triangulate what a fair price would be.

There’s no kind of urgency here, so I’m keeping an eye out for a super deal. Missed out on a Dolmar 114 this weekend on the auction site. Got beyond the number I had set for myself but still sold cheap.

Used CS-400 (use unknown) at $165 might not be bad. It is way more saw that the MS170. I haven't been in the market lately. Keep looking, you say no urgency. The CS-352 or CS-370 are other options.

Keep an eye open for One Day Sales on Echo (see their website). 15% off new products. Would make a new CS-400 about $255 (plus tax). Point of comparison. Sometimes the bay has good deals on new saws. Once got a really good deal on an Echo CS-346 there. Still use that saw a lot.

Tough to beat an Echo CS-370 or 400 for a trim amaw. They are built like a tank and dead solid reliable. Not bad for power production either, but more of a "mid-range" engine with plenty of grunt for the cc's vs a high RPM design.

The non-adjustable carbs on the little homeowner level Stihl's is the deal breaker for me, but they are decent saws for the money.......Cliff

Still keeping my eyes open. I see you can buy a new Jonsered 2240 on the big auction site right now.

Any thoughts on that JRed saw vs the MS170 on sale now for the same money? I assume you’re talking 40 cc’s vs 30 with the Stihl.

It does seem that I’ve heard the huskies and Jreds below a certain size have kind of a cheesy, undersized clutch. But I’m not sure if the 2240 falls into that category..

I'd go with a Husqvarna 350, saws are cheap, parts are cheap, easy to work on, run strong like the are and even better modded.

Anyone have experience with a Homelite 240? I could pick one up really cheap.

Anyone have experience with a Homelite 240? I could pick one up really cheap.
At my first gtg, I couldn't give away a 240. They are a cheaply made saw but likely better than no saw. Some folks seem happy with them, however after seeing how,poorly the chain adjuster was made, I'd pass and use a Corona or similar handsaw.

It all depends on where you shop. I collect big Homelites. My criteria is 70CC or bigger or 24" bar or bigger. Last year I started wanting a Super EZ, because that's what I learned to climb with. I wound up buying about 10 EZ's, 150's, and Super 2's. The most I paid for any of them was $15 for a single trigger Super 2 in the case with manuals, tools and extra chain. They all ran. The 150 surprised me, it ran so well. The Super EZ's are just super little saws. I got all of mine at local farm auctions.

I passed on a 240 last Tuesday, and bought a SkilSaw 69CC's instead, for $15. I'm a died in the wool Homelite guy, and passed on the 240.

Ok, a Homelite guy says no. That’s good enough for me to pass.

At my first gtg, I couldn't give away or even leave there a 240. Just look ay ehay passed for a chain adjuster on them and youll see why.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

For the untold masses who have been awaiting my decision....I pulled the trigger on a purchase. Went with a super EZ auto from eBay. Definitely bought it much cheaper than most are listed, but I’m sure I could have paid less if I’d been more patient and hunted local estate sales and such.

And because I cannot, and probably never will, be able to get out of my own way...it’s not even a runner. “Needs carb rebuilt” but compression is 180 lbs. What could possibly go wrong? ;)

This rabbit hole will probably go deep, but I am excited nonetheless.

JW, keep an eye on Leon's site for parts. He offers a kit for the fuel lines to make it easier. I just picked up a SEZ myself when I was looking for a small saw and it should arrive tomorrow.

I have a carb rebuild kit coming for it and all the parts for the front handle isolated mount. I also ordered a new Oregon air filter for it. Hopefully the Piston and cylinder are in good shape.

I will give it a try with the carb it has and if it doesn't put a smile on my face then I will consider putting the larger carb on but everyone has told me that they do fine with the setup they have already.

JW, keep an eye on Leon's site for parts. He offers a kit for the fuel lines to make it easier. I just picked up a SEZ myself when I was looking for a small saw and it should arrive tomorrow.

I have a carb rebuild kit coming for it and all the parts for the front handle isolated mount. I also ordered a new Oregon air filter for it. Hopefully the Piston and cylinder are in good shape.

I will give it a try with the carb it has and if it doesn't put a smile on my face then I will consider putting the larger carb on but everyone has told me that they do fine with the setup they have already.

Thanks for the heads up on Leon’s. Looks like a great resource. I will certainly need a few parts.

My SEZ AO arrived Friday. Family obligations meant very little time to examine other than just unboxing and such. It has tons of compression, I now fully understand why that release button is there.

Seller thought he had it narrowed down to carb rebuild and even threw in a couple kits. Before I tear the carb apart...gonna make sure I have spark and that the saw will run on a manual prime and some basic stuff like that. I don’t even know yet whether it’s points or electronic. Goal is to make this a reliable, semi-regular user. Not a wall hanger.

Bar and chain are in nice shape, but sprocket will surely need replaced. Probably go with the rim style Oregon one.

Wondering if it’s worth changing the S style clutch to the 3 shoe type?

Points, to my knowledge non of them had electronic ignition. I have seen a couple of them on YouTube that had Atom modules in them.

I want to convert mine to rim and and drum eventually.

You can download the service manual and owners manual from his site also.

I don’t even know yet whether it’s points or electronic. Goal is to make this a reliable, semi-regular user. Not a wall hanger.

OK, reading in Homelite's 5th edition shop manual on the Super EZ it states that later model SEZ did have an electronic ignition. Just thought I would let you know that.

There’s a sale on right now with Stihl ms170 for I believe is $149. I have a few pioneer partner 400 saws they sound good too. These can be found between $100/$200. See what’s on sale new with the 4th holiday coming up. See what TSC has on sale?

A one hand top handle saw I’d look at mcculloch eager beaver for around $100?

nice partner..! im building a 450 jonsereds seems similar

Back