Lent my saw out a few years ago

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few friends that I like loaning out stuff as it comes back in nicer shape than it left.

I do the same thing as well. I treat not my stuff better than if it was my own. Not that I treat my stuff like **** either though.

Like many years ago I needed a chainsaw. I had one in my household goods shipment, but it was still packed up in storage waiting for my house to be finished.
Borrowed a Poulan from someone and used it to finish clearing my yard. Cut maybe 3-4 cords of trees.
Returned it all cleaned up, full of bar oil and fuel, a brand new chain and another new one for a spare.

I hate borrowing stuff. I borrowed a Case 580 backhoe a few years back. Used it for a couple hours and while driving it the mile back to the owner it blew out a big hole in the inside of one of the rear tires. Several hundred later I deliver it back with a new used tire that required road service. No thank you. Obviously that still rankles a little, but more because it took several hundred to learn a very important lesson.

I hate borrowing stuff. I borrowed a Case 580 backhoe a few years back. Used it for a couple hours and while driving it the mile back to the owner it blew out a big hole in the inside of one of the rear tires. Several hundred later I deliver it back with a new used tire that required road service. No thank you. Obviously that still rankles a little, but more because it took several hundred to learn a very important lesson.

I'd have probably called the buddy and offered to split the cost of a tire in that case. Not sure how much a backhoe tire is, the ones one ours are probably 20+ years old. Bought a pair of skidder tires last year, that was $5k.

The way the law is here is that, if you loan a neighbor/friend or family and they get hurt using it, you are responsible for all injuries or damage caused

My Dad taught me that if I needed to borrow something, go ahead and buy it. Chances are you'll need it more than once. I've lived by those words. I also don't loan my stuff out.

Never ever EVER loan out anything with a small engine. It almost never comes back without damage. Had a customer years ago that did some handy man work aroumd town. He didnt have much, so he borrowed things. He came in often with a pushmower or weed eater that broke while he was using it. Always fixed it before he took it back. I told him he was gonna have to buy his own stuff or he would work himself BROKE.

Back