Dead limbs in Norway Maples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalGraymon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post on the site. I thought some folks here might be able to help me out.

This year i've seen a few norway maples with limbs that have begun to leaf out but then have shriveled and died.
On one i removed some significant girdling roots and another i haven't checked.
Is this just a coincidence? I know norways are very prone to girlding but it's also been a very wet spring here. Could that have anything to do with it?
Didn't notice any signs of a fungal infection.

Any input appreciated.

Were the roots exerting pressure on the trunk/is the trunk "indented" where the root was? If so, that can certainly be a cause of the problems you are seeing.

There are a lot of problems with Norway maples... Brown wilting leaves - verticillium??? Is there streaking in the bark?

Were the roots exerting pressure on the trunk/is the trunk "indented" where the root was? If so, that can certainly be a cause of the problems you are seeing.

There are a lot of problems with Norway maples... Brown wilting leaves - verticillium??? Is there streaking in the bark?

Well the one was definitely heavily girdled. Very indented into the stem.
I didn't cut any of the limbs open to check for staining though. I should look at that next. Thanks

That certainly explains some, it not all of the dieback.

When looking for staining in a branch, find one that is partly alive and dead and look at the transition zone.

Back