Stihl 064 Cylinder QUESTIONS???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy26

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I have an OEM 064 cylinder that's questionable for use. I thought i would gather up some information from some experienced builders if this could be used or not. The cylinder is in great condition except for the plating has come off just over the exhaust port hood. It measures about 1/8 th of an inch with missing plating. Question is would this be a No No? Or useable? Or could the exhaust roof be raised some to where this missing plating would be so minimal it wouldn't affect the rings and performance in anyway? In my opinion I wouldn't use it, but looking for more opinions from other builders that have gotten away with something like this or it turned out to be a bad idea. Thanks guys.20190623_163040.jpg

It’d require some port changes... which would affect running characteristics.

I’ve used a few with plating problems below the exhaust with no issues. I cleaned up the edges, though.

Got another pic?

That's going to change your port timing a lot. You could machine the bottom of jug but that is going to alter other ports, squish issues.

People who play more with porting could tell you better.

I think meteor has 064 P/C kits if OEM is too $$$

It’d require some port changes... which would affect running characteristics.

I’ve used a few with plating problems below the exhaust with no issues. I cleaned up the edges, though.

Got another pic?
I'll get a few more pics, like I said the rest of the inside bore is in excellent condition and hate to toss it if something could be done. I've never raised the exhaust ports on cylinders I've done. I always just widen them so I'm not messing with the timing.

i seem to recall that some/all 064s had a thinner base, and so you cant lower them all that much? still might be fun to mess with that cylinder, certainly dont throw it away.

i seem to recall that some/all 064s had a thinner base, and so you cant lower them all that much? still might be fun to mess with that cylinder, certainly dont throw it away.

Yes it does have a thinner base, which is why adjusting them has always been a pain. I would highly suggest that you keep the cylinder as you will find some use for it if you still plan on keeping with the work you're doing.

It's hard to see from the pic but it looks like the plating around the upper bore is completely worn out. Even if it was aggressively ported to fix the exhaust it would still have too much wiggle room.

HL Supply sells a Cross Performance top end that bolts on the 064.

It does need some things looked at to make sure it's good to go. I would check all the bevels around the port edges, paying extra attention to the floor of the exhaust port. I use a diamond ball about 3/8" in diameter to run over that area. Then, hand sand all the edges with 220 grit emery cloth. I'd also be using a Meteor piston rather than the one in the kit.

Back