working alone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t climb but I have someone with me during felling. Then i buck up and load the truck alone. After a few close calls when felling alone I don’t drop trees alone anymore. I had a widow maker come from 35 yards away and hit me like a boomerang size. As the tree fell it hit the top of another tree and I became the target. I couldn’t believe what happened. Anything can happen when we’re alone.

My signature,,, is what I’m about to do safe? It’s onetime I don’t mind talking to myself.

Working alone is not unsafe. Working with people can be unsafe. I have felled and have done all aspects of logging by my self for more than 60 years. So if tomorrow you read that I have passed well it was a good run. I have had some accidents along the way, but not the type where I cut my leg or arm. I have slipped on a log or two where as the wind was knocked out of me. For me some times having a second person around is dangerous because you have to watch out for some one else too. I have also had a crew of up to 6 people working for me too. Safety is a mindset I believe. I have never owned any protective gear until as of late. My first tree job I did alone because could not find any one to help. My first felling job was with out any experience or clue other than this tree needs to come down. I had watched a few people cut a few trees and was thinking how hard could this be. My first tree did not fall exactly like I thought it should. Then I thought I will do better. With that being said I now am concerned more about kick back and what could I do to place a little protection around my arms and shoulders. I am more concerned about wearing a good protective forestry hat with a strap more. With every cut if you are not thinking what could go wrong and how would a person react to that crisis. People alone have accidents as well as people working together have accidents. One important difference is when you are really alone and you start bleeding you will more likely bleed to death before some notices you are missing. I have been taking an emergency radio with me that could direct a helicopter to my rescue. Then there are times when I go out of my way to get help, but mostly to have some one to drink coffee with. For those who are prone to make mistakes they definitely should not be alone. For others that can find an assistant then that is how they should operate. Thanks

I was felling a maple tree that was surrounded inside a circle of other tall trees. She came off the stump and stayed straight up. I was like popeye knocking 4’ sections to the right and left, she still came straight down. I couldn’t see straight up because of the surrounding trees. All of a sudden the big vee from the top showed up. As it fell towards me I shut the saw off and took a step back. I never prayed so fast in my life. The vee fell and it centered me perfectly in it. She hit the ground even, didn’t twist at all I got lucky. I have a big 50cal ammo box full of first aid stuff in the truck.
For the ones who do this for a living and never been seriously hurt we been lucky.
Godbless.

Latest posts

Back