Oak tree job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Buddy needed a standing dead oak taken out. I got two full cords out of it. Pity I have no room. Sold the rounds to a neighbor for $200. Good deal for both of us. $100/cord for liftable chunks cut to length. I’m happy.

Forgot to measure the stump. I’d guess 40” across.
I purposely left out a pic of that! I just can’t get my backcut level. It is always 1 inch above the notch on my side, and about an inch below on the far side. Maybe I should set a magnetic level on there as I start the cut.

B4AEAA40-97CB-40DC-A089-031A5BB1A3B2.jpeg

Buddy needed a standing dead oak taken out. I got two full cords out of it. Pity I have no room. Sold the rounds to a neighbor for $200. Good deal for both of us. $100/cord for liftable chunks cut to length. I’m happy.

I purposely left out a pic of that! I just can’t get my backcut level. It is always 1 inch above the notch on my side, and about an inch below on the far side. Maybe I should set a magnetic level on there as I start the cut.

View attachment 743516
Woulda made some nice slabs, got one out in the woods like it that blew down. The bottom 8’ is bad, but the next 25’ is perfect and straight! I’ll post pics when we get her cut!

The magnetic torpedo level is what I have done in the past, especially for larger diameter ones, simply because I don't drop trees often enough to get a feel for it. I also mark off large rounds for consistency rather than eyeballing.

I also mark off the rounds. I did these a bit shorter than 16" because they were going to a neighbor who is quite adamant that there be NOTHING longer than 16".

I scribe a a line in the bark from each side of the hinge toward the back. Helps keep me lined up when I cant see around.

View attachment 743516
You should see some of the stumps "professional loggers" left in the woods behind my property. I never worry about a perfect face or back cut on trees that don't have to fall perfectly. Even my hinge wood doesn't come out straight sometimes on danger trees. Too many people here worry about a perfect stump when reality is that they are a rarity rather than the norm.

4 seasons you got that right Plus. How straigh some ones stacks are. How long the CS operators chaps are. How precise the rounds are measured off. How long the wood has been allowed to dry in MY PILE.

So much worry for so many others.

Now hit the dislike button.

:D Al

4 seasons you got that right Plus. How straigh some ones stacks are. How long the CS operators chaps are. How precise the rounds are measured off. How long the wood has been allowed to dry in MY PILE.

So much worry for so many others.

Now hit the dislike button.

:D Al

No dislike button, so I guess I'll just have to like it instead. :drinkingcoffee:

Uncle, Take a rubber bungie cord and wrap it around the tree where you want to cut it. Then take a coloured paint spray can and paint the bungie cord. Then take off the bungie cord and you will have a "perfect" 1/4" guide for your saw cuts. It will help you line up your notch too.

Uncle, Take a rubber bungie cord and wrap it around the tree where you want to cut it. Then take a coloured paint spray can and paint the bungie cord. Then take off the bungie cord and you will have a "perfect" 1/4" guide for your saw cuts. It will help you line up your notch too.

Hey, that's pretty clever. A lot of work, but it would do the trick. Rather than paint, I could just cut everything 2 inches above the cord. That's easy enough to eyeball.
I'll try the torpedo level first, though.

Back