Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4seasons

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A random tree sprouted in my wife's old flowerbed a few years and and she wanted to leave it. I took out the flower bed a couple of years ago so now I am wondering if I should trim and shape for a yard tree or cut it down as a weed. It is about 5 years old now.
6e980330039f3bf40c34319862e09b61.jpg
3eff333a4c5555f5866b8bc6e34fc4d9.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A random tree sprouted in my wife's old flowerbed a few years and and she wanted to leave it. I took out the flower bed a couple of years ago so now I am wondering if I should trim and shape for a yard tree or cut it down as a weed. It is about 5 years old now.
6e980330039f3bf40c34319862e09b61.jpg
3eff333a4c5555f5866b8bc6e34fc4d9.jpg

Looks like sumac.

Tree of Heaven. Usually considered a very invasive weed. However, when you cut it, make SURE you paint the stump right away with full strength Roundup, or you will have a thousand suckers coming up in your yard!

We have a winner.
Well winner on the identifier, a loser for a yard tree. I snapped off a leaf and smelled peanut butter. Also noticed a sucker coming up in a nearby bush. Looks like I need to kill a weed of hell.

Go to a good agricultural supply store or a co-op and see if you can get a bottle of Tordon. Made specifically for removal of unwanted woody plants & trees. It is a restricted use pesticide and may be restricted to licensed applicators in your state. Apply directly to a fresh cut stem or exposed cambrium and the entire plant will die, including suckers and any other form of growth. Spendy, but good stuff!!!

Tordon is the best if you can get it in your state without being registered. However, it has some drawbacks too(like anything). The biggest one being that it tends to be persistent in the soil, and could prevent anything else from growing in the area for a while.

That's why I suggested Roundup instead. The half life of Roundup is usually less than Tordon. That, and you might have more other uses for Roundup.

YMMV with either of these herbicides on stumps.

The big thing, though, is that both have to be applied to FRESH stumps, less that 12 hours old. Immediately after cutting is the best. I use a disposable foam paint brush with concentrated Roundup, and paint the stump. Whatever works to get the product directly on the stump, especially around the outside edges, where the tree is actually growing.

Edit: This link seems to indicate that Tordon is available over the counter in TN.
https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/SP627.pdf

Go to a good agricultural supply store or a co-op and see if you can get a bottle of Tordon. Made specifically for removal of unwanted woody plants & trees. It is a restricted use pesticide and may be restricted to licensed applicators in your state. Apply directly to a fresh cut stem or exposed cambrium and the entire plant will die, including suckers and any other form of growth. Spendy, but good stuff!!!
I saw it for sale to the public in Gemplers?

Does Tree of Heaven or Sumac give you rash? I cleared out a mulch bed last year and had poison ivy type rash on my arms...I was certain there was no poison ivy but I did cut out a few small trees such as the pics above.
I have seen a few reports on other forums about people being allergic to it. I guess you can be allergic to anything, because I'm allergic to Osage orange. I'm okay with the wood and wood chips, but the sap from the fruit itself will give me a poison ivy like rash.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My wife's hobby is eradicating these pests, they are incredibly difficult to control. The female trees smell worse than the males...

If you ever fell one of the larger ones, they hit the ground and the branches explode as if they were made of Lego bricks...

Wife started killing these off because her mother is allergic to them.

Back to the Roundup on the tree stump; I have a packet of off brand roundup that is supposed too be mixed with a few gallons of water before spraying. Should I drill a hole in the stump and put the powder in the hole or just use half a gallon of water to make a strong mix to spray it with?

I'd just mix the solution up and keep it on hand in case the suckers start sprouting up, those are some relentless plants! Best thing is to spray the stump IMMEDIATELY after you cut it. Sometimes we split the stump down the middle with an axe, or just make several chops into the stump if larger, then douse the stump in herbicide. Good luck!

Back