Stihl 026 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILLinAK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm still learning, so dont beat me up too bad fellas.
Picked up a well worn 026 for close to nothing. Jug and slug look real good, no scratches. Ran good when I bought it.
The rim sprocket is a 3/8 7tooth that needs replacing. The guy at HLsupply couldnt find an Oregon replacement for me. Is it an LP ? The bar was trashed to where I couldnt make out the info stamped into it. Better off just switching rim bar chain to 325?
Suggestions? I also cant find the air filter part# 1121 120 1602.
Better off switching to a diff carb/filter set up? This is an early 026. Serial# starts with 2272. Any info will help a ton with this rebuild.

I hate to say it, but why are you asking a reseller to look for you?

Research goes a long ways... Oregon shows they do not currently make a 3/8 rim sprocket for the 026, they do however currently make 4 different .325 sprokets.

The same will go for the other parts, there are superseded lists for stihl. Otherwise you will have to fine either clone or aftermarket. I have attached one of the stihl replacement lists so you know what they look like. View attachment Stihl-Parts-Replacement-CrossReference-Aenderungsnachweis 02-2013.pdf.pdf

I'm still learning, so dont beat me up too bad fellas.
Picked up a well worn 026 for close to nothing. Jug and slug look real good, no scratches. Ran good when I bought it.
The rim sprocket is a 3/8 7tooth that needs replacing. The guy at HLsupply couldnt find an Oregon replacement for me. Is it an LP ? The bar was trashed to where I couldnt make out the info stamped into it. Better off just switching rim bar chain to 325?
Suggestions? I also cant find the air filter part# 1121 120 1602.
Better off switching to a diff carb/filter set up? This is an early 026. Serial# starts with 2272. Any info will help a ton with this rebuild.
Welcome to AS Will. Pics of your air filter will help as there may have been a couple of different ones for the 26. I run. 325 on my 026's with 18" bar.

Welcome to AS Will. Pics of your air filter will help as there may have been a couple of different ones for the 26. I run. 325 on my 026's with 18" bar.
Thanks Steve! I will post pic when I'm home. I was thinking of a rim bar chain swap over to 325, but wasn't sure what I would gain/lose by doing so. Still learning. Already have a 271 with 325 setup, but looking forward to running this 260

Hold on, the 3/8 vs .325 comes down to more factors than someone else's opinion.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/3-8-vs-325-chain.160313/

There are reasons for one over the other. The one that usually determines the choice for many people is their own inventory and what they want to stock.

What you want to or should run depends on what you at cutting. The OP is in Alaska based on his handle, that means dense, slow growth trees, mostly fir and pine.

To myself, it seems that a .325 with a larger bite would probably perform better in that wood than a 3/8 with a smaller bite (noting that spec page is listing the micro 3/8 profile as well as the low) as it would clear faster. It will also probably use/require more chain oil than the 3/8.

3/8 lopro, not regular. I believe that link is regarding reg 3/8 vs .325.

I wouldn’t run 3/8 regular on any 50cc or under saw in any conditions.

3/8 lopro is a sweet little chain for most tasks with little saws, imo.

Edit; I wouldn’t run 3/8 regular on any of MY 50cc and under saws. Yrmv.

Hold on, the 3/8 vs .325 comes down to more factors than someone else's opinion.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/3-8-vs-325-chain.160313/

There are reasons for one over the other. The one that usually determines the choice for many people is their own inventory and what they want to stock.

What you want to or should run depends on what you at cutting. The OP is in Alaska based on his handle, that means dense, slow growth trees, mostly fir and pine.

To myself, it seems that a .325 with a larger bite would probably perform better in that wood than a 3/8 with a smaller bite (noting that spec page is listing the micro 3/8 profile as well as the low) as it would clear faster. It will also probably use/require more chain oil than the 3/8.
I appreciate all the info. The only part I need to correct is I am cutting 95% hardwood birch for firewood. Occassionally a soft spruce.
The reason for the possible switch really comes down to needing a new bar and sprocket, and I'm not finding the small spline rim I want in 3/8 .

Stihl made 3003 mount 3/8 picco , 3/8 , 0.325 bars. Try lightly sanding the bar and clean it up. Stihl bars # is stamped towards powerhead end

Did you look on the rim to see if there is makings. If the clutch drum is stihl small spline other rims won't fit, they use a strange spline. If it's aftermarket try Oregon. Might be able to find some numbers on clutch drum too.

stihl made 0.325, 3/8 picco and, 3/8 rims in small spline. I'm not sure what new numbers are, but I can't imagine they stopping making them. Last price list I have (2018) does not have the original part #s.

Stihl made a LOT of saws with these parts, I can't believe they are NLA.

Maybe Harley can check?026 clutch.png

I got my first one, a craigs list find, for $95. It came with 5 extra 16" 0.325 chisel chains, with ~70% life left. Not a red lever but has a wt-194 carb. It was filthy but cleaned up well. I replaced the AF and rim sprocket.

To OP, if you need to get B/C the 16" 0.325 is the sweet spot

Attachments

• 026 CL.jpeg
    026 CL.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
Watch out on your rim sprocket as the splines are different between Stihl and aftermarket (Oregon). See if your clutch drum says Stihl or Oregon on it. Only then start looking for sprockets. As others have said .325" is the sweet spot chain to run.

Thanks very much for the info. Now to decide to stick with stihl clutch/sprocket or go oregon. Dumb question, am I stuck using on stihl/oregon chains if I pick clutch/sprocket setup from either?
The Oregon will be cheaper and just as good! You can use any chain as long as the guage and pitch match the rim. I'm searching for my muffler mod pics for you. I'll post when I find or I'll take some tonight.

The Oregon will be cheaper and just as good! You can use any chain as long as the guage and pitch match the rim. I'm searching for my muffler mod pics for you. I'll post when I find or I'll take some tonight.
Look forward to seeing them, muffler mod is my next thing to do after I get parts I'm waiting on. Thanks

Latest posts

Back