Stihl 026 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks very much for the info. Now to decide to stick with stihl clutch/sprocket or go oregon. Dumb question, am I stuck using on stihl/oregon chains if I pick clutch/sprocket setup from either?

Go with whichever drum/sprocket has the best availability.

BTW, the clutch drums are different depending on the type of oiler the saw has. This may make the decision for you.

The basic muffler mod is very simple on the 026. You will have to adjust your carb a little richer. Have you mentioned what carb your 026 has on it? Let us know.
I will check after work and get back to you on that. Last question (for now) my 026 is an early one. Cant find 1121 120 1602 air filter anywhere. What can I use? My filter does not have the extra hole on it.

Good point I forgot to mention that! Take a look to see if your oil pump is plastic or metal.
I found a clutch drum, rim sprocket combo from oregon in 325 /7tooth from oregon for 20$ thanks fellas, now to get a 16" bar... the correct one, without the notch for oiler. Almost bought the wrong one at first

I will check after work and get back to you on that. Last question (for now) my 026 is an early one. Cant find 1121 120 1602 air filter anywhere. What can I use? My filter does not have the extra hole on it.
I bought some just a short while ago. I'll check the numbers when I get home and see if the number changed.

Good point I forgot to mention that! Take a look to see if your oil pump is plastic or metal.
I don't think it is just plastic vs. metal. I believe that some of the early 024/026 oil pumps were also metal but driven by the engine and not the clutch.

The clutch driven oiler on the 026 was the swan song for the 028.

OP, Post a pic of your existing clutch drum from both sides. What you are looking for is the presence or absence of a 1/16" notch on the edge of the drum.

I don't think it is just plastic vs. metal. I believe that some of the early 024/026 oil pumps were also metal but driven by the engine and not the clutch.

OP, Post a pic of your existing clutch drum from both sides. What you are looking for is the presence or absence of a 1/16" notch on the edge of the drum.

I will, but I found oregon part #s for the kit for both kinds, based on saw serial # . Mine is def an early one.

Ok I thought all the engine driven pumps were plastic. Good to know!

I've had an 028s since 1987 and never had to service the oil pump.

The 026 had two styles of oil pump. On one the pump runs 100% of time , the other runs off clutch drum and is adjustable. There is a conversion kit.

Ok here are some 026/260 mufflers. Couldnt remember what saw had what mod done. The two with the four holes are from the MS260 I believe. The middle one I used a cutting wheel on a dremel to cut and connect a holes I drilled at the top and the bottom. The only video I have of it is when my youngest daughter asked how old you have to be to run a chainsaw. So here it is. This saw is completely stock other than the muffler mod.

c857d1daaab7e6bc713b94fd56f34781.jpg

Are you sure that your number is right? A non compensator flocked air filter would be 1121 120 1612, and the wire mesh filter would be 1121 120 1611.

Ok here are some 026/260 mufflers. Couldnt remember what saw had what mod done. The two with the four holes are from the MS260 I believe. The middle one I used a cutting wheel on a dremel to cut and connect a holes I drilled at the top and the bottom. The only video I have of it is when my youngest daughter asked how old you have to be to run a chainsaw. So here it is. This saw is completely stock other than the muffler mod.

c857d1daaab7e6bc713b94fd56f34781.jpg

Awesome pics. Cleaning up dremel now, about to do some cutting. High 5s to you and daughter!

You know that the number on the part itself is often not the number that is used for ordering in the IPL?
Nope, but learning something new every day. I'm hoping to figure out what part # will fit . Early 026 . Filter does not have the large hole in backside.

Back