Tuning For Summer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wife has salmon strips semi-dried and ready to go into the smokehouse. We needed some alder for smoking. We tool up to the old Dew Line site and I get out the 262. Gassed, oiled, tried to start; it never occurred to me that the last time I ran the saw it was about +15* F. Yesterday was 72* F. Hmmm....

Check my truck door and much to my amazement I find not only a scwrench but The Little Screwdriver for the carb! I don't even remember putting them there. Gently turn everything closed, opened about 1 1/2 turns, I blow out the raw gas (yes, it was severely flooded), and it fired right up. Set the idle and went cutting. :)

This morning at 0800 I went outside with the miter saw to cut the small logs. I figured I'd wake the neighbors with the electric, but if I used the massaged 262, it'd wake the whole neighborhood.

All ends well. A couple of days of gentle smoking and the strips will be ready.

People don’t understand summer tuning and winter tuning. Every fall I adjust the carbs for the winter in October when it cools down. In the spring when it finally warms up I adjust for the summer settings.

With smoking I can’t help ya it smells good from here. Lol

After Randy got through with it, this isn't a consumer saw that'll run damn near any time or temperature you live in. Like any high-performance machine that isn't computer controlled, it has to be tuned. I would not have been able to do this simple thing if I hadn't joined this group 12 years ago. Yeah I read the owners manual of my husky 66, but still, knowing what H, T and L are...

I think we can get by readjusting the low speed jet do to weather changing temps. The high speed is less finicky.

I did not know there was a difference in summer winter saw running. Winter air more dense as with warmer temps a little less air. Any noted change adjust and check spark plug. Any change in fuel or oil double check running condition. A couple of saws have not been changed in five years other more finicky. Thanks

Back