Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. feeling a bit better today. first day in about 10 I've not needed paracetamol so must be a bit better. managed an hour and a bit of splitting before the sun got too hot....the saharan bubble finally arrived today. it was supposed to arrive mid week and to have been mid 30s C plus. mainland europe has been enduring 45C in places. thankfully it didn't get here until today and its about 32C, and tomorrow back to low 20s...so its sitting in the shade and trying to use little energy as heat and man flu sucks.

My friends 048 broke antivibe mounts and he hasn't found any. I found an 046 online and he bought it, came with a 25" bar and 5 chains. So after we revved it next to my 460 a bunch of times, he gave me a loop that will fit my new 25" bar. That count as a scrounge?
2babc9934904b6049b2273d8726d6cb1.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks. feeling a bit better today. first day in about 10 I've not needed paracetamol so must be a bit better. managed an hour and a bit of splitting before the sun got too hot....the saharan bubble finally arrived today. it was supposed to arrive mid week and to have been mid 30s C plus. mainland europe has been enduring 45C in places. thankfully it didn't get here until today and its about 32C, and tomorrow back to low 20s...so its sitting in the shade and trying to use little energy as heat and man flu sucks.
Good luck with it. Flu during a heatwave can't be much fun.

Anyone in here from Kansas? The planer / molder manufacturers left on my shortlist are both from Kansas. Woodmaster and RBI/Hawk/Bushton. The latter are a bit tricky to deal with as my emails keep bouncing back as "no recipient account", even when replying directly to their email.

Woodmaster say I'll need another $700 to get the 50Hz motor version. RBI say no worries with their 60 Hz motor, they'll just change the pulley to gear it to compensate for the lower motor revs.Woodmaster is LEESON, RBI is Baldor. I'm confused now. I've always been told the 60Hz may run on 50hz but always slower and to avoid burning it up I need to drop the voltage to keep the ratio of volts to Hz the same. I thought the 60Hz Baldor would be loading/warming up as it is at 50Hz but even more so if it is geared about 20% higher than originally. I wonder if it'll overheat more readily and have a shorter life. Any 'lecky people know?

I do have a 30 amp 3-phase circuit in the shed. Tried to future proof it years ago when built it and had a dedicated line and meter put in, but never used it. Perhaps now's the time and I should just get a bigger (both RBI and Woodmaster use 5 HP single phase motors as standard) 3 phase motor and call it done, even if 60 Hz?

Does anyone else hate shopping? It's not like I can take it back if it's not right.

Decided to try to kill myself in the heat today. It twas a little warm. I wanted some cedar so I could mill some day soon. Cut an ash and a poplar that was in the way. A darn cedar branch flipped up and managed to get into my handle to get into the tractor. I drove ahead and it cracked the windshield. I did get a load home and also managed to get another 261 from a buy sell site. Paid a bit for it but only had two tanks of fuel thru it and came with 8 wedges, Stihl combo file set, the 2 gallon jug with fuel, 7/8 gal of Stihl oil, crate, tru fuel and brand new Stihl chaps.
20190629_130906.jpg 20190629_161350.jpg 20190629_161846.jpg 20190629_151352.jpg 20190629_142701.jpg

Decided to try to kill myself in the heat today. It twas a little warm. I wanted some cedar so I could mill some day soon. Cut an ash and a poplar that was in the way. A darn cedar branch flipped up and managed to get into my handle to get into the tractor. I drove ahead and it cracked the windshield. I did get a load home and also managed to get another 261 from a buy sell site. Paid a bit for it but only had two tanks of fuel thru it and came with 8 wedges, Stihl combo file set, the 2 gallon jug with fuel, 7/8 gal of Stihl oil, crate, tru fuel and brand new Stihl chaps.
View attachment 744098 View attachment 744093 View attachment 744095 View attachment 744096 View attachment 744097
I was looking at that. Pretty fair deal considering what all came with it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Among many other things, almost finished a sitting bench I'm making from a side slab of wormy Hickory. Repaired the base on my Radial Arm saw to cut (then chisel) the grooves for the feet (also made from half round Hickory).

Most of it is stained with semi transparent stain, but the sitting surface has a base coat of epoxy, and I plan to just leave it like that.

Wish I could get a close up of the worm groves and holes that were under the bark, but I'm just using a cell phone for the pics, but I like how it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_183041904.jpg
    IMG_20190629_183041904.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20190629_183031107.jpg
    IMG_20190629_183031107.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190629_183017714.jpg
    IMG_20190629_183017714.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 22
Back