Everyone is a saw mechanic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELECT6845

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Guy claims he has built hundred of saws but can’t figure this one out. It has good compression it just won’t start. Lmao.

Probably this quality aftermarket cylinder would be my guess. When are they going to learn?

Attachments

• 806904C2-529C-4EF4-8D24-EE49D3042F49.jpeg
    806904C2-529C-4EF4-8D24-EE49D3042F49.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 210
  • B76A00AE-DF65-4D30-8280-815AE86706BA.jpeg
    B76A00AE-DF65-4D30-8280-815AE86706BA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 198
This is an early run meteor 046. I've actually ported quite a few of them to run Dominant pistons in them, as the OEM stihl cylinder plating doesn't last with the Wiseco rings. It's hard to say which circlips were used, or if they were installed properly
So that makes this an Iissue?

I really do not want to be a saw mechanic. I worked professionally for several with working with snow mobiles, dirt bikes, 2 stroke drag bikes, but only ran my own chainsaw stuff. I used to buy Wiseco bags of c clips and just ground them to fit what ever I was working on with no issues. Thanks

Not yet. I picked up a few of them with the lopsided intake knowing that porting would fix it. The plating is the thickest I've seen on any cylinder
I meant Joe's cylinder. Someone told me once that Meteor and Hyway were the same castings plated in two different plants. I haven't messed around with either enough to find out, or care. I have a couple Hyways in boxes on the shelf I bought because the price was right. Not sure if I'll ever use them or send them to someone in need at some point. The one 45mm I assembled I was happy with. More testing is needed though.

Gentlemen I'm no expert on plating or chainsaws for that matter, but i do have to do boat engines, which the race motors are, some of the best platers around inmo are in the US, they like 5 to 7 thickness for nikasil, what I've been told, anything thicker can make it brittle, anything under when honing you may hone through, this cyl is dead nuts on, plater give it a thumbs up, the 5 to 7 thickness would translate to 10 to 14 thou over bore, this cyl is .080 over bore.
d3917a5cfabd7202cf94b361cf18eb16.jpg

I meant Joe's cylinder. Someone told me once that Meteor and Hyway were the same castings plated in two different plants. I haven't messed around with either enough to find out, or care. I have a couple Hyways in boxes on the shelf I bought because the price was right. Not sure if I'll ever use them or send them to someone in need at some point. The one 45mm I assembled I was happy with. More testing is needed though.
That is exactly what I was told. Port timing is usually different from OEM, but we almost always alter the port timing anyway, so it might not be a bad thing.

They say they're plated in different countries, yet Hyway plating looks eerily similar to Meteor

Is that left one a Meteor? All the ones I have seen have that aggressive port chamfer. They run okay that way, but it seems like too much.

I don't think it is a Meteor. It was on a 461 that was used One part of a day and stopped running. I found out the fuel was 1/4 water. Guy said he left the saw out in the rain. No way to treat a nice Stihl 461. Mike

I had one of my guys wade into an irrigation ditch up to his waist to remove some 40” Willows a few years ago. We were all afraid he would drop the 395 in the drink. Nice to here they can be salvaged.

I have a feeling that boat cylinder is super smooth. Look at those ports. And the shape of the hone. Looks very well done and expensive.

Latest posts

Back