Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking 24

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

24" is good for packing and camping, otherwise 28" is a good length for that weight. With the lower weight of a cruiser, some handle length will add velocity to your swing for more effective chopping and chip removal.

No idea, the lumber yard just said it was 8/4 hickory, it looked like hickory to me, and had the best grain orientation a lot. From what I can gather there is no preference to type of hickory that I'm aware of. I would think that one that grows slow and big are ideal as they works have tighter and wide growth rings. Yep, around here it's shagbark and pignut, loss of it, but on my modest woodlot with all of my ash dying and now my red oaks, I only cut down live trees if absolutely necessary.
Ash make very good handles as well, but I prefer Hickory.

View attachment 739888 View attachment 739893 Wow! How am I just now finding this thread?
I started messing around with an old axe head I found at our hunting camp back in the winter and quickly became addicted. So far I’ve just dug out the remnants of the old handle and started cleaning up and resharpening it. Anyone know roughly how old this head may be? Also looking for a source of good handles in southern Ontario if anybody knows of any.
Welcome to the thread and to the site.
We live close.
I keep telling local fellas about the site and how great it is but have yet to hear back from many nearby.
I'm on a property just West of Madoc and South of #7.
Have a bunch of firewood cutting gear and burn some wood for heat, mainly in shoulder seasons.
It helps to have a very good woodstove too though.
I also have some Bitternut on the property. But mostly burn logs I buy from others.
I just cleared some land and have two large Red Oaks to mill and then some White Pine and White Cedars.
Staying busy.

Ash make very good handles as well, but I prefer Hickory.

Yep, so does elm, red gum or spotted gum, and beech. A balance of strength and elasticity are good properties for percussion tool handles.

I have a Basque axe from Spain hung on a Beech handle, and a Russian axe from Siberia hung on an Ash handle. Both perform very well.

Recently scored a slick Collins Legitimus Connie, not sure if original, but handle is real nice, about 31", nice and slim. Hang seems solid, but I'll pull the steel and re-haft it with the existing handle. Very little wear other than some curved grind on the bit (which I'll correct) - the poll appears to not have been beat on by Bubba to split logs.

IUE8TB0.jpg

MgyjZNk.jpg

pmLikKK.jpg

hI8Oq3O.jpg

cQbHhdc.jpg

Been wanting a Connie for a while now, and to find one in such good condition with a dandy handle to boot! This will make a nice addition to my chopping arsenal.

Anything in particular for size or pattern? I'll start looking

You'll have to educate me, good sir. Not very familiar with English or Commonwealth patterns. Weight? Are the older axes in metric or imperial? Probably somewhere between 1-1.5 kg or 2.25-3.5 lb

Edit: weren't you also looking for a double bit, or am I confusing you with someone else?

I'll pm you a few ideas to set you thinking. English axes are Imperial weights, it's the rest of Europe that has always preferred metric... We woke up to its advantages eventually.

Most English axes are just a common 'axe' shape like an American feeling axe, or there are Kent pattern, and a small number of stranger pattern like miners axes but they are 5 to 6lb. I guess we have less varied trees and also American lumbermen brought many nationality and traditions together with their own axe ideas.

Hello,Well I just found my first cool old axe,digging thru a collapsed barn . it has Collins ligitimus and a crown with an arm holding a hammer,about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs I would guess.From going thru this post it appears to be a Hudson bay style,handle is loose and 3 roofing nails into the wedge.Thinking I want to make nice like some in here,i'll keep you posted on my results. Any tips are appreciated.Thanks,Sean

Hello,Well I just found my first cool old axe,digging thru a collapsed barn . it has Collins ligitimus and a crown with an arm holding a hammer,about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs I would guess.From going thru this post it appears to be a Hudson bay style,handle is loose and 3 roofing nails into the wedge.Thinking I want to make nice like some in here,i'll keep you posted on my results. Any tips are appreciated.Thanks,Sean
Yes.... we're going to need pics

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back