Buying a 390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190628_094420.jpg

Last tree of the day Friday. The 572 handled it, but I hate waiting on a saw. Not terrible, but I'm terribly impatient.

It is. It seems really snorty. We'll see what it does dogged in and buried. The guy that built it has done a pile of them, pretty sure that I won't be disappointed.

I didn't want a 390, but I needed it. The 461 should put me where I need to be without trashing my back.
I swore my last 390 would be the LAST....glad that 461 was sitting there.

-390's are great saws, I just have a mechanical issue with my back that kind of limits what I can pack around and still be productive.

I was kind of in the same boat, had an 066 and 460 that I ran a decent amount....the 460 impressed me enough with a 28" bar that I quickly got rid of the 066, and never looked back. I did pick up a 390XP a few months ago, bolted on a 32" bar, but haven't run it enough with the longer bar to really form an opinion yet. I do know it screamed with a 20" bar, though!

If the 390xp is more powerful than my 385xp I’d go for the 390 my back was fine till I carried the 265# elevator rails and 400# machine parts alone. I should of stayed in the woods hugging my 2100 saw.

I love me some 390 Husqvarna. I also way prefer the wrap handlebars on the Husqvarnas. The 390 in stock form is, at least on my mind, the ideal faller’s saw for second growth/older regen. It’s a great hardwood saw too, probably the best on the market to run a 32 in hardwood. I’m not much on a 390 longer than a 36 in any wood either.

With that said, the 460/461 Stihls aren’t far behind at any bar length despite being 11 cc down. Those saws are not as fast, but still plenty fast enough. The 461 especially seems to be the better long bar saw of the two, albeit not by a ton (if it mattered that much I wouldn’t have the 32 on the 046 and a 28 on the 461). If weight matters to you, especially if you have a health problem where it actually matters, the pound and a half difference will probably make your decision. I’m usually a pretty big hardass, but over the last month or so my knees have been barking and I’m finding ways to lighten what I have on me all day.

Right there with you. 390's are great saws and I definitely prefer their wrap handle. But; the 461 balances really nicely with a 28" sugihara and holds its own fine in the stuff I was in today.
I'm big on keeping everything light as possible.

20190703_115047.jpg

20190703_121045.jpg

Honestly, my 372XP with 24" bar does 90% of what I need, and the 460 w/ 28" handles the rest....I just got a really good deal in the 390, and made sense to go with a 32" bar.

Latest posts

Back