Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sustenance for the morning. I walked out to the truck and had two deer flies on me pronto so they are going to be a pain. Have headnet ready to put on as soon as the saw stops.

View attachment 744127

Looking good there...

Off to a slow start this AM as I was up late plotting my next big endeavor. That of course involved a gathering of the local fellow scroungers, tradesmen, and ragamuffs....beverages were provided.

Dang near nice out, good breeze, one more cup and time to fire the saw. Have a good one guys!

More mayhem in the bush today. Cut down 14 ash trees and eventually managed to get them home. We've been having steady rains here and the bush just isn't drying out much. I was planning to just cut a bunch and only bring a few home each trip but I got greedy. Too many soft spots, too narrow a trail and some cedar stumps in the way. And maybe too much weight on the wagon. Even managed to pull the rear hitch off pulling it backwards. 20190630_155423.jpg 20190630_155404.jpg 20190630_155413.jpg

More mayhem in the bush today. Cut down 14 ash trees and eventually managed to get them home. We've been having steady rains here and the bush just isn't drying out much. I was planning to just cut a bunch and only bring a few home each trip but I got greedy. Too many soft spots, too narrow a trail and some cedar stumps in the way. And maybe too much weight on the wagon. Even managed to pull the rear hitch off pulling it backwards. View attachment 744242 View attachment 744243 View attachment 744245

Them welds look a little small eh?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

U&A, yeah looks like I didn't crawl under and weld it all. It attaches to the rear I axle on the wagon so not a lot of meat there anyway. I was lifting it up over a stump and it was way too heavy to be doing that, final straw was pulling it sideways. I'll brace it back this time. I have enough cedar at home to mill for a couple of days so the bush will dry out by the next time I get back there.

Woodchip rookie, our 3 bikes are still sitting in the garage, one ride so far this year and only rode 3 times last year. My wife says we have too many toys. I think we just have to say No more often.

Got a full cord of hardwood done, and got heatstroke in the process.

I’m usually pretty good about getting hot and cooling down. But today kicked my ass.

Put up a cord of wood in full sun, dropped that off and just wasn’t getting better. Had promised to help a friend with some light carpentry projects. Ended up laying down in my friend’s house for about 90 minutes before I could resume activities. Got the projects done. I’m still not back to 100 percent though.

Sometimes you just need to know when to say when. I had plenty of water but the heat was just too much.

It was bright and sunny early this morning, and I checked the weather forecast and it said no rain till Friday, so I called my daughter and invited my two Grandson's over (10 + 12). We planned to work on some chainsaw wood benches, then go shooting bows and arrows at the range. Such were the plans!

We had barely set up shop in the driveway when I heard Thunder in the distance, and saw a large dark cloud approaching. It was the first of 3 T Storms we were to have today, so a lot of the woodworking got postponed or moved inside, and we never did get to the archery range.

We did remove a bad cup from a wide piece of Black Oak. It really does not cup, it forms a V from the center of the tree, so I cut a space 3/4 of the way through with the saw, then glued it, clamped it and screwed it. Worked really well at removing the cup, I'm starting to get good at this!

Then we put legs on another small sitting bench (stained brown), and that one went home with them today. It is also all Black Oak.

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_135617205.jpg
    IMG_20190630_135617205.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190630_135455493.jpg
    IMG_20190630_135455493.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190630_173128864.jpg
    IMG_20190630_173128864.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190630_173202062.jpg
    IMG_20190630_173202062.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 26
Sustenance for the morning. I walked out to the truck and had two deer flies on me pronto so they are going to be a pain. Have headnet ready to put on as soon as the saw stops.

View attachment 744127
That sure looks good!

I’m usually pretty good about getting hot and cooling down. But today kicked my ass.

Put up a cord of wood in full sun, dropped that off and just wasn’t getting better. Had promised to help a friend with some light carpentry projects. Ended up laying down in my friend’s house for about 90 minutes before I could resume activities. Got the projects done. I’m still not back to 100 percent though.

Sometimes you just need to know when to say when. I had plenty of water but the heat was just too much.
Glad your doing ok, scary stuff, young logger in Oregon died from that couple weeks ago. Sneaks up on ya, stay safe out there (and out of the sun).
It was bright and sunny early this morning, and I checked the weather forecast and it said no rain till Friday, so I called my daughter and invited my two Grandson's over (10 + 12). We planned to work on some chainsaw wood benches, then go shooting bows and arrows at the range. Such were the plans!

We had barely set up shop in the driveway when I heard Thunder in the distance, and saw a large dark cloud approaching. It was the first of 3 T Storms we were to have today, so a lot of the woodworking got postponed or moved inside, and we never did get to the archery range.

We did remove a bad cup from a wide piece of Black Oak. It really does not cup, it forms a V from the center of the tree, so I cut a space 3/4 of the way through with the saw, then glued it, clamped it and screwed it. Worked really well at removing the cup, I'm starting to get good at this!

Then we put legs on another small sitting bench (stained brown), and that one went home with them today. It is also all Black Oak.
Looks good Mike! That’s pretty cool.

We aren't acclimated to this heat yet. Heck last week I was burning to take the damp chill out of the house. Saturday I did an oil change on my daughter's car out in the driveway in the peak of the afternoon. Felt like I worked a 12hr day afterwards.

Is that the warn drill winch?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Yes sir79AE046A-8816-49D2-867D-C8C4CB10A35E.jpeg
Seems like it works great so far, pretty handy. I have an inverter for my pickup to plug battery charger into for drill but I think I’ll look into a bigger battery too.

Back