Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like it works great so far, pretty handy. I have an inverter for my pickup to plug battery charger into for drill but I think I’ll look into a bigger battery too.
Another idea would be an old 12 volt drill replacing the (probably long dead) battery with an extension cord and alligator clips to attach to the truck battery. Only works within reach of the truck that way though.

Another idea would be an old 12 volt drill replacing the (probably long dead) battery with an extension cord and alligator clips to attach to the truck battery. Only works within reach of the truck that way though.
Yeah that would be handy too. Main reason I got it was to get wood that wasn’t close to the road but once you got closer that might work.

'morning! well, guess it's early afternoon... just finishing up some :drinkingcoffee:

thought about you guys last couple days. scrounging farwood! been up country... working on farm. and on the way up and around the area... the scrounging opportunities are endless. mostly oak. all over the place. some seasoned, some well seasoned. I keep saying... need to get some pix. post on the thread.... but then, not sure u guys would want to look at 50-75!! scrounge gigs pix! lol even if in thumbnail... :rolleyes:

down here in urbanville, neighborhood roads got piles of tree debris on curb. pick up... guess some time soon. city always late. lol. I noted one scrounge just down the street... 4 nice chunks of pecan. just pick 'em up an go. this morning I see only one left. bbq wood no doubt. they left the bigger one with the Y in it... guess they can't split it. I plan to go get it later in day... guy across the street had top of an old oak tree's central trunk pop off and down other day. he has it on the curb. guess i'll scrounge it... if I get it before the city does. nbd, if I miss... plenty on drive to still cut and split...

so it goes...

(will get some pix for later on)

Or a bigger inverter, an extension cord and a real 120V drill

Rain gave me a touch of the cabin fever!
Between showers I went out with the Husky 445 to feed the mosquito population! Just trimmed back enough boxelder brush to be able to mow without getting thrown off the mower!

It was too much saw for the job really. I just wanted to run it a bit. Got to admit with a 16" bar it cuts nice and snappy. Feels heavier then an 025 but seems snappier inspite of being rated 2.9 bhp.

Well I’m working on the interior window and door trim which is final project to finish my cabin. This has been a 9 year project working off and on. I do want to paint the outside again before I’m going to consider it completely done but technically that’s maintenance and not construction.

I had purchased enough material to do one window to get a system going. Was able to fir out the other three windows so once I buy more trim I’m off to the races. The countersinking (headless) torx screws really work nice for trim work.
5292BD20-4443-41B5-9C15-48557CCEB2E5.jpeg
A4591398-268C-4340-A152-AC447E8CF86F.jpeg

View attachment 744416 Todays scrounge, a little oak and some more of the dead standing locust from last week. And a bunch of free garden soil. All from the same place.

I expected to see a big ford in this picture....[emoji6]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I expected to see a big ford in this picture....[emoji6]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Guy works odd hours. Won't be able to do paperwork till Saturday morning :dumb2:. If I had the big ford I would have told him to just put the whole skid in the bed with the skid loader.

View attachment 744497 These guys weren't happy when the fiskars came to visit. Guess if I kicked in the door to the maternity ward people would have the same reaction.
A couple pieces of that large Oak I just scrounged had a nest of ants...I still find them crawling around the bed of the truck even weeks later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A couple pieces of that large Oak I just scrounged had a nest of ants...I still find them crawling around the bed of the truck even weeks later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If time allows I leave the splits spread out on the ground for several hours to a few days. Once you split a round that had ants they’ll usually vacate the whole piece even if there’s still cavities in the wood.

The only thing that sucks is if you process wood in the cold weather then the ants get put into the wood pile and set up operations in there once the weather gets warm.

Anyone in here from Kansas? The planer / molder manufacturers left on my shortlist are both from Kansas. Woodmaster and RBI/Hawk/Bushton. The latter are a bit tricky to deal with as my emails keep bouncing back as "no recipient account", even when replying directly to their email.

Woodmaster say I'll need another $700 to get the 50Hz motor version. RBI say no worries with their 60 Hz motor, they'll just change the pulley to gear it to compensate for the lower motor revs.Woodmaster is LEESON, RBI is Baldor. I'm confused now. I've always been told the 60Hz may run on 50hz but always slower and to avoid burning it up I need to drop the voltage to keep the ratio of volts to Hz the same. I thought the 60Hz Baldor would be loading/warming up as it is at 50Hz but even more so if it is geared about 20% higher than originally. I wonder if it'll overheat more readily and have a shorter life. Any 'lecky people know?

I do have a 30 amp 3-phase circuit in the shed. Tried to future proof it years ago when built it and had a dedicated line and meter put in, but never used it. Perhaps now's the time and I should just get a bigger (both RBI and Woodmaster use 5 HP single phase motors as standard) 3 phase motor and call it done, even if 60 Hz?

Does anyone else hate shopping? It's not like I can take it back if it's not right.

60 hz motor typically must have the voltage decreased to run on lower frequency just like you said. The issue is the magnetics inside saturating at lower frequency so it could overheat even with no load on it if the voltage is not reduced. So don't let anybody tell you it's OK to run at 50 hz unless the motor manufacturer says so.

U&A, yeah looks like I didn't crawl under and weld it all. It attaches to the rear I axle on the wagon so not a lot of meat there anyway. I was lifting it up over a stump and it was way too heavy to be doing that, final straw was pulling it sideways. I'll brace it back this time. I have enough cedar at home to mill for a couple of days so the bush will dry out by the next time I get back there.

Woodchip rookie, our 3 bikes are still sitting in the garage, one ride so far this year and only rode 3 times last year. My wife says we have too many toys. I think we just have to say No more often.

I am waiting for the pix... hauling truck, trailer full of scrounged logs, chunks... and 2 or 3 hawgs in the 3rd trailer... mountain time fun! :D

Got a full cord of hardwood done, and got heatstroke in the process. Sometimes you just need to know when to say when. I had plenty of water but the heat was just too much.

just wondering svk - had u eaten that tasty looking hot cheese sandwich that morning?

I doubt you had heatstroke... it is a seriously bad life-threatening condition... often a killer w/o the right kind of immediate attention! but... you could have and probably did get into the initial realm of heatstroke. good thing u cooled down. I have been on the edge of it, once pretty good a** kicker condition. it put me down on porch to rest, cool off and enjoy the ice on my forehead and chest...

other day we were working outside and a couple of times I had to stop and rest. and I was well hydrated... just a hint of my body getting on past that comfortable 98.6!

I can work outside all day... but not in direct sun. shade. or shade cover, like on tractor... and I have to do it in a fasting mode. no chow! chow and it's over. inside. water they say is best, but I confess... I do like a cold soda for some tin can energy...

be careful with overheating, folks! while serving on active duty as a US Marine... we were constantly attending classes on the ABC's of heatstroke... how to recognize it, and how to avoid it and what to do if...

Back