MS180C limbing saw bogs down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intotheether

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My MS180C has a pronblem that just started. It will start up fine, have good low theottle response, but dies as soon as I give it 100% to start a cut.

I've changed the air filter, and put in fresh mixed gas, but still prevails. Any help is appreciated.

Try some seafoam. That you mention putting in "fresh mixed gas" suggests that chances are good that old gas was left in too long.

Try some seafoam. That you mention putting in "fresh mixed gas" suggests that chances are good that old gas was left in too long.

My prior batch of mixed gas worked just fine in my KM190 and MS390. I got a fresh batch of 91 octane V-Power and Stihl mix. Trying to eliminate variables.

So after tearing down the saw did the following:
-pulled the in-tank fuel filter and blew thru it
-removed the carb, and took apart; diaphragm was clean, and still "springy".
-used air compressor and blew out sawdust from all the crevices.

And after re-assembly.....same f$%*^^@ issue. Grrrrr.....

burn the resin off the spark arrestor screen and it'll run great

Seems easy enough. Will give it a whirl.

I find it most odd that it bogs and dies if throttle is held wide open, but responds to 1/3 or so light throttle revs for a good minute before attempting full throttle.

burn the resin off the spark arrestor screen and it'll run great

I find it most odd that it bogs and dies if throttle is held wide open, but responds to 1/3 or so light throttle revs for a good minute before attempting full throttle.

Update:
Took a torch to the screen, no change in performance.

Looks like its a carb issue. Anyone have recommendations on where online to order a carb?

Have you seen this thread.
good info on the 215, some pics on the last page too of what to remove and what to plug.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms180-adjustable-carb.74899/page-12

Edited to add.

When you took the carb apart, did you remove the main jet and ensure it was not blocked, it sounds like main jet starving issue.

Take cover off carb again, and remove the main jet, flat head screwdriver, then check to see if its blocked, its very fine drilling hole, so dont go shoving a needle or wire brush thru it. Some carb cleaner and air should suffice if its blocked.
Be careful with the rest of the main jet passages in the carb, as there is also a one way valve in the venturi of the carb that can be damaged with compressed air.
Gentle application of air to check if its flowing, even just a hose and blowing thru the hose to make sure its not stuck closed, carb cleaner can also affect/ damage the valve there too.
Also
Is the fine mesh screen thats before the needle and seat clear ?

If thats all ok, could check the fuel hose, is it sucking closed due to the filter being a bit blocked ? you should be able to blow thru the filter easily, any resistance and its time to replace it.

hope that helps.

HLsupply has a fully adjustable carb for that saw, I just put one on my neighbors saw, it worked great.
You have to make new holes in the cover & handle for adjusting.

Back