Where to buy McCulloch 3-10 coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_lamb_160

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi I have a McCulloch 3-10E but no ignition coil. Any ideas where to get one? I am in Australia and parts saws don't come up often here

Hi I have a McCulloch 3-10E but no ignition coil. Any ideas where to get one? I am in Australia and parts saws don't come up often here

Cool saw mate jump into the mac thread and have a yarn. I'm not 100 percent sure about the E version but basically any points ignition coil from a 1-10 2-10 3-10 10-10 more or less any points 10 series coil and Ebay will have 1 usually. Definitely ask on the mac thread though and the guy's on there would love to hear about your 3-10E it's a rather special saw.

Thanks mate. Can you get them new anywhere (unlikely I guess)?

It was my grandfather's saw. It is pretty sad and is missing the battery pack and the e-start disabled, but still special. Plan is to get it running and paint it up.

Thanks mate. Can you get them new anywhere (unlikely I guess)?

It was my grandfather's saw. It is pretty sad and is missing the battery pack and the e-start disabled, but still special. Plan is to get it running and paint it up.

Don't paint it man that's your grandfather's history on there all those little chips.

No worry about new plenty good used around. Will be able to resurrect the electric starter too no doubt

If the coil has a problem, it is most likely the spark plug lead is open (broken wire). They can be replaced by unscrewing the wire from the coil and installing a new one. Often the wire will twist off in the socket which will require a bit of creative tooling to get it out. I made one hollow drill from a roll pin, then found an ideal tool designed to remove broken screws.

DSCN3532.JPG

DSC05853.JPG

The electric start saws are pretty interesting, and evidently there were quite a few manufactured. My latest acquisition was a Super 10-10E.

20190408_144418.jpg

It starts and runs nicely, but I removed the batteries to avoid any further corrosion.

Mark

WbotiNg_d.webp

It is a lot cleaner now, but this is how I got it. I have the bar and chain for it. Battery box is missing as you can see and the pull start is broken. I have ordered a new spring for it. Might get a pull handle too because this one looks about due to fall a part

Thanks for the tip on the lead removal. That is a nice looking saw!

9lPya6y_d.webp

It has the bullfrog/flatback carb as you would expect. I think I posted earler that it is s type 5, but I think it is actually a 4. It has been apart and is missing the check ball and seat for the primer. The duckbill is also completely gone. Still considering what to do with regards to the primer. A new carb diaphragm is on the way.

Back